ESPN DeportesCruz Azul aprovecha un error de la zaga rival para contestar el gol de RiveroPunchOsun poll: 295 suspects arrested – Policeוואלהמפקד סנטקום: לנושאת המטוסים לינקולן יש את מספר מקרי בריאות הנפש הנמוך ביותרThe Jerusalem PostJewish watchdog urges NYPD to increase officers in hot spots after synagogue attackInquirerASF hits 2 cities, town in CamSurDaily MaverickMore than 180,000 without power in Hawaii, 100 homes damaged as Lala weakens to tropical stormThe Sydney Morning HeraldHaddara crime boss ‘lying in a pool of blood’ after suspected gangland ambushTVN24Prokurator generalny USA nie obiecuje, że będzie niezależny od Donalda TrumpaLa NaciónEl árbitro de Platense-Boca explicó por qué no sancionó penal por una mano de GorositoSouth China Morning PostExercise, supplements, digital detoxing: Hongkongers' new lifestyle obsessionsBBC عربيهل تعرف بنات جيل زد عن الدورة الشهرية أكثر مما تعرف أمهاتهن؟Premium TimesEDITORIAL: Ishaq Oloyede’s remarkable leadership at JAMB
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Moment fisherman, 31, is rescued alive after 15 days trapped in an underwater cave

Translate

By JOE ROSSITER, REPORTER

Published: | Updated:

A fisherman has been rescued alive after spending more than two weeks trapped in an underwater sinkhole.

Erasto Crisanto Valdez, 31, disappeared in July while fishing with his father in a cenote, a natural sinkhole, in San Francisco La Paz, Mexico.

It was only after an international effort 15 days later that Mr Valdez was rescued from the sinkhole.

Six days after he went missing, rescuers found a harpoon Mr Valdez had been carrying at a depth of around 65m (213ft).

And some 15 days after he first went missing, rescuers found the fisherman in a cave with an air pocket more than 100m (328ft) below the surface.

Erasto Crisanto Valdez, 31, disappeared in July while fishing with his father in a cenote, a natural sinkhole, in San Francisco La Paz, Mexico

Six days after he went missing, rescuers found a harpoon Mr Valdez had been carrying at a depth of around 65m (213ft)

It was only after an international effort 15 days later that Mr Valdez was rescued from the sinkhole

Explorers from Mexico, Germany, the US and the Dominican Republic had joined the effort to save him.

Mexican explorer Carlos Jimenez said the rescue was a 'miracle'.

'We were prepared to find his body,' he said, adding: 'But God had other plans.'

Mr Valdez was brought back to the surface on a stretcher and was suffering from severe dehydration and malnutrition after more than a fortnight without food.

View the original on Daily Mail

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.