וואלההתפרצות האבולה ברפובליקה הדמוקרטית של קונגו גבתה את חייהם של 2,325 בני אדםESPN DeportesAmérica golea a San Luis con gol de Diego ArriagaPunchRivers reconciliation: Wike allies, Fubara camp close ranksThe Jerusalem PostRapper ‘The Shadow’ removed as police volunteer amid investigationCNN Türk17 AĞUSTOS AKARYAKIT FİYATLARI: Benzin, motorin, LPG, akaryakıt fiyatları ne kadar? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir akaryakıt fiyatlarında son durum...ESPNPitcher, surgery pioneer Tommy John dies at 83한겨레구글, 2분기 한국어 유튜브 채널 449개 폐쇄…“비정상적 활동 패턴”UOLDefensorias lançam fórum para atuar no Congresso, mirando orçamento e espaço nos tribunaisCBS NewsCBS News poll on whether Democrats split over socialismInfobaeKeiko Fujimori sobre simulacro de terremoto de 8,8: “Las cifras que me tocó leer, la verdad, eran terribles”El Comercio▷ Canales TV que transmiten Xolos de Tijuana vs. Cruz Azul EN VIVO EN DIRECTO por la Liga MX 2026New Straits TimesYen edges up as traders push back Fed rate hike bets
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Violence directed at West Bank family a 'horrific act of violence,' U.S. ambassador to Israel says

Translate

The U.S. ambassador to Israel condemned the actions of Jewish settlers who are besieging the home of an American Palestinian family in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Rare rebuke comes as Palestinian American family's home is surrounded in Qusra

The Associated Press

·

Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 4 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

From a distance, a number of people in military uniforms are shown standing near vehicles behind a brick wall.
Israeli soldiers, top, stand next to settlers in front of houses of Palestinians in the village of Qusra, south of Nablus, in the occupied West Bank, on Wednesday. (Jain Zaafar/AFP/Getty Images)

The U.S. ambassador to Israel condemned the actions of Jewish settlers who are besieging the home of an American Palestinian family in the Israeli-occupied West Bank.

Mike Huckabee called the siege a "horrific act of terror."

Since Sunday, according to local officials and family members, settlers have gathered near the home in the village of Qusra and harassed those inside, defying efforts by the Israeli military to defuse the situation.

A group that has included up to dozens of men has thrown stones, attempted to bring down a stone wall nearby and prevented the occupants from leaving despite dwindling supplies.

Speaking to The Associated Press by phone from his home in Ohio, the home's owner, Loui Ridi, said his 48-year-old brother and nephew, who have been holed up in the home to defend it, had been unable to leave the house and did not have access to food or water for several days.

a bearded, balding man in suit and tie is shown standing near American and Israel flags.
Mike Huckabee, U.S. ambassador to Israel, is shown in Jerusalem on Aug. 20, 2025. (Ohad Zwigenberg/The Associated Press)

On Thursday morning, the owner's brother, Qusai Abu Rida, said that he and his teenage son had been evacuated by Israel's military. It was unclear what would happen to the property and at least one other that has been targeted.

Israeli troops intervened in recent days to try to restore order. The military said that overnight Thursday its troops had dismantled "two illegal outposts" on the outskirts of Qusra and a nearby village, and detained one Israeli. It added that additional soldiers had surged to the area, which is about 16 kilometres from the city of Nablus, to "carry out defensive missions and patrols."

'Prisoners in our own house'

Journalists on the outskirts of Qusra said roads into the village were closed.

Palestinians and the Israeli opposition accuse Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government of turning a blind eye to attacks by settlers against Palestinians as clashes have surged in the last few years.

Huckabee's post on X was an unusually sharp rebuke from a U.S. official, even as he defended the Israeli military's response. Huckabee is a longtime ally of Israel's settler movement and in the past has expressed support for Israeli control over the occupied West Bank while condemning settler violence.

Home security footage from Thursday morning appeared to show a few settlers still hiding by a damaged stone wall near the house.

Ridi said that settlers have been harassing his home for months before the situation escalated in recent days, saying they had cut off the water and electricity to his house and thrown stones, causing damage to the property as well as at least one more house in the area.

"We are prisoners in our own house, hostages in our own house," he said.

WATCH | Last month's deadly incident:

IDF launches West Bank operation after 4 Palestinians, 2 Israeli soldiers killed

July 24|

Duration 3:07

Four Palestinians and two Israeli soldiers were killed in Tal, a village near Nablus in the occupied West Bank. The Israel Defense Forces have sealed off the village and say they are preparing for major military action.

Last month, a mosque in Qusra was set on fire in another apparent settler attack. That followed the killing of an Israeli settler, which triggered violence that left two Israeli soldiers and four Palestinian villagers dead.

Settlers have been building more outposts in an effort condemned by many in the international community as aimed at dismantling any remaining hopes of establishing a Palestinian state in the occupied West Bank.

The Palestinians seek the West Bank, captured by Israel in the 1967 war, as part of a future state. Many settlers and their supporters say the entire area should belong to Israel for historical, religious and security reasons.

View the original on CBC News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.