Kushner talks with Hamas and Israel end without Gaza deal
Donald Trump's envoy and son-in-law Jared Kushner has wrapped up two days of meetings with Israeli and Hamas leaders to break a stalemate over the US president's Gaza plan, but there were no signs of an imminent breakthrough as both sides dug in.
Mr Kushner met Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel a day after meeting Hamas' political leader in Egypt in a bid to revive the plan, which has stalled as Israel has carried out air strikes and seized more territory in Gaza despite an October ceasefire, while Hamas has refused to give up its weapons.
The US president last month announced that Hamas had agreed to lay down its arms in phases, under a 15-point roadmap put forward by his so-called Board of Peace to advance the president's plan, as Israel's military withdraws from Gaza.
Hamas said it agreed to the roadmap but implementation depended on Israel first meeting its own commitments, including halting attacks and withdrawing.
No breakthrough in Jerusalem
Mr Netanyahu, whose ruling coalition is trailing in Israeli opinion polls ahead of an October national election, earlier this month rejected the roadmap, insisting Israel would not withdraw until Hamas is completely disarmed.
An Israeli official indicated that there was no breakthrough in the meeting, saying Mr Netanyahu had made it clear the military would not withdraw from a demarcation line set out in an October ceasefire and would continue to carry out operations in Gaza as it sees necessary, including targeting those who took part in the October 7, 2023, attack on Israel that triggered the war.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has publicly rejected Donald Trump's proposed peace plan. (Truth Social: Donald Trump)
Hamas has demanded Israel adhere to the ceasefire, while both sides have disputed the sequencing of how Mr Trump's plan to end the war would be implemented. More than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since October, according to Gazan health officials and the Israeli military.
Two sources said Mr Kushner's meeting with Mr Netanyahu lasted several hours.
Nickolay Mladenov, the Board of Peace envoy for Gaza who is widely seen as leading efforts to implement the plan, also attended the meeting, the sources told Reuters.
The Israeli official said Mr Netanyahu and Mr Kushner agreed in the meeting that the reconstruction of Gaza would not begin until Hamas was fully disarmed, including of light weapons.
In a statement that characterized the meeting as "deep and constructive", the prime minister's office said that Israel and the Board of Peace believe that Gaza's disarmament should be "prompt and completed before any reconstruction happens".
It also said that Mr Netanyahu had agreed with the Board of Peace to establish a working group on disarmament and demilitarization, and another working group that focuses on sanitation, clean water and other public health issues in Gaza.
A Board of Peace official described the meeting as "in-depth and very productive," saying the two sides had reached an agreement on a path forward. The official did not elaborate.
Reconstruction
US and Israeli officials have previously said that reconstruction could happen in areas of Gaza under Israeli control or a new Palestinian technocratic government.
The Board of Peace has indicated that while rifles would be prohibited, some personal weapons would be permitted under Palestinian law.
The proposed plan would see Hamas agree to disarm itself in exchange for the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza. (Reuters: Mahmoud Issa)
Mr Netanyahu is facing a tough reelection campaign and diplomats say it is unlikely Israel's longest-serving prime minister would make any concessions over Gaza before the October 27 vote.
Mr Kushner and Mr Mladenov were in Israel after meeting with Hamas political leader Khalil Al-Hayya in Egypt on Sunday.
It marks Mr Kushner's second known meeting with representatives of Hamas, the Palestinian militant group designated a terrorist movement by the United States.
Mr Kushner previously met Hamas officials alongside US envoy Steve Witkoff in October 2025, helping clinch a deal that led to a ceasefire in Gaza and the release of remaining hostages seized by Hamas.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.