Sara Duterte: I’m fully represented, no reason to attend trial


MANILA, Philippines — Vice President Sara Duterte on Wednesday maintained that she has no reason to attend her impeachment trial, saying her lawyers fully represent her.
Duterte defended her decision to skip the proceedings despite calls for her to appear in person to expedite the trial.
READ: Senate impeachment court grants witness’ request for leave
Article continues after this advertisement
“Hindi po totoo ‘yun kasi fully represented ako ng ating defense team at sufficient ‘yan na meron kang mga abogado doon na nagpa-participate doon sa process,” said Duterte in a chance interview in Zamboanga City.
FEATURED STORIES
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
(That is not true, because I was fully represented by our defense team, and having lawyers there participating in the process is sufficient.)
“’Yun ay para na ring pagdalo ng respondent doon sa impeachment,” she added.
(That is tantamount to the respondent attending the impeachment proceedings.)
The vice president said that she could not contribute to the trial’s proceedings because she was not acting as a lawyer and could not present or cross-examine witnesses.
Article continues after this advertisement
She further said the impeachment proceedings should proceed quickly on their own, citing the 1987 Constitution.
The impeachment court is currently tackling Article I, which involves Duterte’s alleged misuse, misappropriation, and irregular liquidation of confidential funds through the OVP and the Department of Education.
Article continues after this advertisement
A total of eight witnesses have so far been presented by the prosecution panel—with former OVP Special Disbursing Officer Gina Acosta currently testifying before the impeachment court./dp
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.