The Jerusalem PostEisenkot leaps ahead as Likud support falters, projected to win 26 Knesset seats - pollBollywood HungamaSpirit Controversy: Pranay Reddy Vanga claims Deepika Padukone made ‘unreasonable’ demands; says, “She demanded 10 percent from the film’s profit”CNN TürkVenezuela’da izi siliniyor! Maduro kaderine mi terk edildi?ESPNTransfer rumors, news: Liverpool looking at Wharton as Jones replacementInquirerTaal Volcano logs 46 volcanic earthquakes, up from 14PunchMorning recap: States get N435bn for security, Atiku’s subsidy push opposed, other top storiesוואלהנקבע מותו של גבר כבן 31 שנפצע באירוע אלימות בעראבהDaily MaverickWHAT WE’RE WATCHING: The Invite: Olivia Wilde invites you to a sharp, awkward dinner-party satire한겨레농심·오뚜기 이어 팔도도 올린다…라면업계 컵라면 가격 인상 잇달아SözcüNe elektrik ne gaz: Yemekler artık bu şekilde pişiriliyorInquirer EntertainmentTupac’s unshakable legacy and the long road to accountabilityUOLHomem é condenado a 24 anos de prisão por matar cientista social
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

Remulla: Zamboanga shooter’s dad cooperative; no culpability so far

Translate
Zamboanga shooter’s dad cooperative, seems no culpability so far — Remulla
Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla — File photo

MANILA, Philippines — The father of the alleged perpetrator of the fatal Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) Junior High School shooting is cooperative and appears to have no culpability so far, Interior Secretary Jonvic Remulla said on Thursday.

Two were killed in the incident, particularly a Grade 10 student and the alleged Grade 8 shooter who turned the gun on himself.

READ: Ateneo de Zamboanga shooting: 2 students dead

Article continues after this advertisement

Remulla said the shooter “acted alone” with no conspirators and active groups that planned it with him, and “there was no family influence that made him do the unthinkable.”

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

The 15-year-old male shooter allegedly wielded a caliber .40 pistol and a 9mm pistol that belonged to his father, a Bureau of Customs (BOC) personnel.

“The father is cooperating,” Remulla said in a press conference at AdZU. 

Asked if a case will be filed against the father, Remulla said: “We will leave it up to the fiscal to determine culpability but based on existing laws it appears we have yet to see, but we will know further.”

His father has since been relieved from his post as a district commander of the BOC’s enforcement and security services at the Zamboanga port.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Ateneo de Zamboanga shooter’s father left guns in car — BOC

Remulla noted that he has a permit to carry firearms, being a BOC personnel.

Article continues after this advertisement

On Wednesday, BOC commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno said the shooter’s father left his firearms in his vehicle, which was used to drop off the shooter at the school.

According to Nepomuceno, a driver, not the boy’s father, accompanied him to school, but the guns remained in the vehicle, allowing the shooter to access them.

“The guns were in his car. I understand, that was a dangerous place,” Nepomuceno said in a phone interview.“Our personnel should be armed.”

Nepomuceno said the father has apologized for the incident, which he accepted.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

“He’s a good official,” Nepomuceno said of the father. “He has a lot of accomplishments.” /das

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.