Rassie: What concerns the Springboks about the All Blacks

The last time the Springboks faced the All Blacks, Rassie Erasmus’ team romped to a record-setting 43-10 victory in Wellington last year.
It was the most remarkable response after losing in Auckland the week before, but the Springboks are fully aware that so much has changed since then.
Most notably, Dave Rennie and a new coaching team have come in and clearly sought to get the All Blacks playing more to their traditional strengths.
The name of the game is all about high-tempo play, multiple phases, speed and distribution between backs and forwards, as well as a ferocious approach at the breakdown aiming to secure quick ball.
Springboks on high alert ahead of first Test against the All Blacks
With the first Test against New Zealand now fast-approaching, Rassie Erasmus was candid when commenting on what the Springboks expected in Saturday’s clash in Johannesburg.
“You can see it on social media. They’re advocating a high intensity, running game, with multi-phase attacks. And when you analyse it, it definitely shows in the stats.
“Dave (Rennie) is very sharp. I coached against him with Munster against Glasgow. The big battle is going to be when they have the ball, they’ll have total control of what they do with it, and when we have the ball, we’ll have total control of what we do with it. Neither team can tell the other how to use the ball.
“What concerns us most is how physical and brutal they are at the breakdown. They take the ball through so many phases and then they put in a well-timed grubber kick, their attacking kicks are as dangerous as when they have ball-in-hand.
“They’ll have plans they didn’t show in the Nations Championship, little things, such as lineout variations, maybe a front peel or back peel move, and there are things that have caught us out before.”
The match kicks off at 17:10 and will be broadcast live on SuperSport.
Injury updates
Erasmus, who will name his team on Thursday, said the only two injury concerns in the squad at this stage were regular captain Siya Kolisi and prop Ox Nche, but he gave a clean bill of health for the rest of his group at their training camp in Johannesburg.
“The only two doubtful players are Siya and Ox, who are coming along well.” said Erasmus.
“I wouldn’t say either is confirmed out, but if they get through training today it could go either way. Apart from those two, everybody else is available.”
Meanwhile, the All Blacks recently saw prop Ollie Norris became the fourth player ruled out of the tour, while utility back Damian McKenzie (ankle), winger Will Jordan (back) and scrumhalf Cam Roigard (calf) all have injury niggles.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.