Police release CCTV footage of Melbourne arson linked to bikies
Police have released CCTV footage of an arson attack at a property in Yarraville, in Melbourne's inner west, last year.
Two cars were destroyed, and the house suffered fire damage as a result of the attack.
The resident was also the victim of an attempt by three Bandidos to extort $20 million.
Police have released footage of an arson attack at a home in Melbourne's inner west last year, believed to have been linked to a $20 million extortion attempt by bikies.
Victoria Police said two cars at a property in Stephen Street, Yarraville, were set alight just after 2:20am on November 26.
CCTV footage released today by police shows a grey Toyota RAV4 pulling up outside the house, with two males getting out of the car.
The two males pour accelerant over two cars parked in front of the house, as well as the front door area.
They then throw Molotov cocktails at the vehicles before fleeing the scene.
Police are hoping someone may be able to identify the men who carried out the arson attack. (Supplied: Victoria Police)
Victoria Police said none of the occupants of the house was injured, but the cars were destroyed, and there was extensive damage to the front of the house.
In December, police arrested a 23-year-old man from Thomastown and a 27-year-old man from Mickleham in connection with the incident.
Both were released.
Police released vision of the arson in the hope somebody may recognise the men who carried out the attack.
Taskforce Echo is investigating the incident, which was set up to tackle crime involving Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs (OMCG).
Two cars at the property were destroyed in the fire last year. (Supplied: Victoria Police)
Detective Senior Sergeant Ben Oakley from Taskforce Echo said the incident could have been deadly.
"We have said time and time again that fire — arson — risks the lives of innocent people," he said.
"It is dangerous and unpredictable.
"A woman and a young child were inside this address. In their home, where everyone deserves to feel and be safe."
Arson followed bikie extortion attempt
Police said a month before the arson attack, the occupant of the home was the victim of an extortion attempt by three bikies.
Three men attended the home and demanded $20 million be paid by the end of the week or the house would be burnt down.
The 47-year-old resident was slapped and punched in the face.
The arson attack damaged the front of the house in Yarraville in November last year. (Supplied: Victoria Police)
Police said a woman and a young child at the home were not physically injured during the incident.
Three men, a 27-year-old from Kalkallo, a 23-year-old from Ivanhoe and a 28-year-old from Craigieburn, were charged in November last year and have recently been sentenced.
Victoria Police said the men were patched Bandidos.
Anyone with information has been urged to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.