ESPNNFL Future Power Rankings: We stacked all 32 teams based on expectations for 2027 to 2029Daily MaverickIf SA keeps failing to implement plans, it’s time to rethink planningPunchBREAKING: Edo Assembly gets new speakerThe Jerusalem PostUS-Iran talks hit new impasse as MoU's 60-day deadline expires with no dealוואלהנתניהו נפגש עם קושנר ובכירי מועצת השלום; הפגישה נמשכת יותר משעתייםRTP Desporto12h30 Benfica sem margem para errar com Casa PiaBollywood HungamaEXCLUSIVE: Ram Gopal Varma’s Police Company to be made in two parts; shooting begins todayInquirerLPA may become storm in 2 days as habagat persists – PagasaTagesschauDie politische Risse hinter der Militärparade in WarschauGolem.dePhotovoltaik: Kommerzielle Perowskit-Solarzellen bestehen LangzeittestSportstarMohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE score: MBSG 1-1 JFC; Sahal scores in 2nd minute; Durand Cup 2026 quarterfinal updatesEgypt IndependentIran inflation “alarming” with basic food items a luxury for many, Iranian media says
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Double murderer Simon Levy accused of stabbing and trying to strangle prison guard

Translate

Double murderer Simon Levy has been accused of stabbing a Belmarsh prison officer with a pen before trying to strangle him.

Levy, 41, who is serving a whole life sentence for murdering two women in Tottenham, has been charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and intentional strangulation.

The incident took place at maximum security HMP Belmarsh in February.

Levy, who appeared over a videolink at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday, denies both charges.

Prosecutor David Burns told the court Levy was finishing a meeting with Belmarsh guard Paul Dunne when it is said he “attacked him with a pen, stabbing him multiple times to the arm and neck”.

It is said Mr Dunne fell to the floor and Levy then “grabbed the officer around the throat” before allegedly tightening his grip.

After the not guilty pleas were entered, Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram sent the case to Inner London Crown Court for trial, with a hearing set for September 14.

Levy’s lawyer, Jason Lartey, told the court he denies assaulting the officer or grabbing him around the throat.

Levy, formerly of Tottenham, north London, was handed a whole life prison term last week for murdering grandmother Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53, and mother-of-four Sheryl Wilkins, 39, last year.

The killings happened after he had also carried out a string of sexual assaults on the Tube and raped a woman in a car park.

Levy spoke during Monday’s hearing to confirm his name and date of birth, and then to enter his not guilty pleas.

The alleged attack on the prison guard happened on February 18, when Levy was in custody awaiting trial for double murders, rapes, and multiple sexual assaults.

More to follow...

Subscribe here to get the latest updates from The Independent.

View the original on The Independent

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.