ESPN DeportesPFL Tampa: Cyborg, ensangrentada, supera a Vieira por decisiónוואלהירידה קלה בטמפרטורות - בעיקר בצפון הארץ | התחזיתESPNCyborg bloodied, outlasts Vieira in likely PFL finalePunchTyson Fury-Anthony Joshua fight signed, says HearnThe Jerusalem PostSettler violence: Not a fringe problem, but a national security threat - editorialInquirerMarcos EO puts focus on PH critical minerals한겨레국제형사재판소 일본인 소장, 미국 제재에 “상황 심각…전쟁범죄 재판 중단될 수도”SözcüAlparslan Kuytul ve eşi Semra Kuytul tutuklandıCNN TürkMerkez Bankası'ndan "yastık altı" altın kararı: Ek getiri imkanı sona erdi!New Straits TimesZahid calls for trust to translate into votes, hints at 'Blue Wave'NTVİstanbul'da pazar planı yapanlar dikkat! Bazı yollar trafiğe kapatıldıStraits Times SportBangladesh 95-8 at tea, trail by 51 runs in second test v Australia
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

RI reaffirms accelerated response to NTT quake, Kalimantan wildfires

Translate

S Tangerang, Banten (ANTARA) - Coordinating Minister for Economic Affairs Airlangga Hartarto reaffirmed the Indonesian government's commitment to monitoring progress and accelerating response efforts following the recent earthquake in East Nusa Tenggara (NTT) and ongoing wildfires in Kalimantan.

Airlangga told the press in South Tangerang, Banten, on Friday that relevant ministers have visited and monitored the developments at the sites.

The minister previously noted that the forest and land fires in Kalimantan are disrupting local economic activity.

“There is an economic impact in the region because business operations are disrupted. Action must be taken to tackle these forest and land fires,” he stressed.

He stated that the Indonesian government is currently prioritizing fire suppression efforts, particularly as Indonesia is currently facing the El Niño weather phenomenon, which heightens fire risks due to drier conditions.

To tackle the situation, the government has deployed 12,880 joint personnel across Kalimantan and expanded water sources by drilling and activating wells in high-priority zones.

These intensified measures are focused on West Kalimantan, Central Kalimantan, and South Kalimantan, combining routine patrols, hotspot monitoring, direct firefighting, peatland rewetting, and cooling operations to prevent re-ignition.

Earlier, Finance Minister Purbaya Yudhi Sadewa stated that the government has disbursed Rp44 billion (around US$2.49 million) to support disaster response efforts in earthquake-hit areas across NTT, drawn from emergency relief funds transferred by the central government to local authorities in early August 2026.

Purbaya added that the government remains open to allocating additional funds based on ongoing evaluations of conditions on the ground and budget adequacy.

A magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck NTT on Saturday morning (August 15). The death toll reached 83 as of Friday (August 21), according to the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB).

Related news: VP Gibran assures equal aid for NTT quake victims

Related news: TNI mobilizes 14,167 soldiers to support firefighting operations

Related news: BNPB deploys helicopters for Sumatra and Kalimantan forest fires

Translator: Arnidhya Nur, Raka Adji
Editor: Azis Kurmala
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

View the original on Antara News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.