Bollywood HungamaKartik Aaryan to undergo knee surgery after injury on Kabir Khan’s film setThe Jerusalem PostUS Justice Dept. announces new charges against 17 Iran-backed hackersESPN DeportesMourinho: 'Dudas' hicieron que Rodri eligiera Barcelona sobre Real Madridוואלהשר החוץ של דרום קוריאה: טראמפ לחץ עלינו להתערב במלחמה באיראןInquirerAteneo de Zamboanga shooting: 2 students dead한겨레백성현 논산시장 1심서 당선 무효형…유권자들에게 명절 선물 제공Inquirer EntertainmentJourney prepares for last leg of what could be the rock band’s final tour togetherSözcüBabaları vefat etti: Boğaz'ın incisi satışa çıkarıldı!The Sydney Morning HeraldErin Patterson appeal LIVE: Mushroom killer seeks to challenge guilty verdictالنهارالأمم المتحدة تحذّر: الهجمات على عمّال الإغاثة بلَغت مستويات قياسية!Antara NewsBRIN quake-resistant homes stand after 7.7-magnitude quakeNOSOuders overleden Milou (17) thuis bedreigd vanwege euthanasie dochter
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Ateneo de Zamboanga shooting: 2 students dead

Translate
Angara sends psychosocial support after Zambo school shooting
Police gather at Ateneo de Zamboanga University following a shooting at the school in Zamboanga on August 18, 2026. A student livestreamed himself shooting another schoolmate dead before taking his own life at a high school in the Philippines on August 18, authorities said. —Photo by Gabriel Vince Pallalos/Agence France-Presse

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — The sense of security that schools have worked to restore after the deadly Tacloban shooting in June was shattered again on Tuesday following another attack, this time at the elite Jesuit-run Ateneo de Zamboanga University (AdZU) in Zamboanga City, that left two junior high school students dead, among them the shooter.

Initial police investigation showed that a student armed with a 9mm Glock pistol shot, without provocation, a fellow student inside Room 404 of the university’s high school building, killing him instantly.

The shooter then ran to another floor while yelling, before turning the gun on himself.

Article continues after this advertisement

Maj. Shielamie Chang, spokesperson for the Zamboanga Peninsula regional police, said the shooter was a Grade 9 student at AdZU junior high school department while the victim was a Grade 10 student.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

READ: Transparent backpacks given to Tacloban students after shooting

Chang said the shooter brought two 9mm pistols into the campus, one with casing accessories. Both guns were later recovered from the scene, along with empty shells.

Initial reports showed that the shooter livestreamed the attack using a body-worn camera. The footage showed him first firing at a teacher seated in front of a class, but apparently missing. He then shot a student on the fourth floor before going up another level, where he shot himself.

Another Facebook live video taken by an eyewitness showed the suspect firing a gun at students as they rushed out of the classroom in terror.

Article continues after this advertisement

A separate video obtained by the Inquirer showed students scampering for safety on the campus grounds in Barangay Tumaga during the shooting at 7:45 a.m.

Video clips of the shooting shared on social media had been taken down, according to authorities.

Article continues after this advertisement

Access to guns

The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) said two persons were taken to the hospital after the shooting. One had unspecified injuries, while the other was treated for shortness of breath.

Elmeir Apolinario, Zamboanga CDRRMO chief, said medical teams also attended to 21 students who suffered from panic attacks, anxiety, and minor abrasions.

Investigators have yet to determine how the shooter managed to bring the guns to the campus without being detected by security. No motive for the attack had been established as of this writing.

A document shared by the Philippine National Police Public Information Office said the shooter carried a standard pistol and another pistol “fitted with a Roni conversion kit to make it appear as a rifle.”

Brig. Gen. Nolasco Bathan, Bureau of Customs (BOC) Enforcement Group chief, said a pistol used by the shooter was issued by the BOC to one of their employees in Zamboanga.

In a phone interview with reporters on Tuesday, Customs Commissioner Ariel Nepomuceno confirmed that the shooter’s father is the district commander of the Port of Zamboanga Enforcement and Security Services.

The official, however, had been relieved of his post pending investigation into possible negligence in firearm handling.

“He had nothing to do with his son’s actions. This is a tragedy for their family,” Nepomuceno said. “But, we need to relieve him from his post so there can be an impartial investigation as to whether there was negligence in our employee’s handling [and safekeeping] of his firearm.”

Bathan said the other gun carried by the shooter was a personal firearm licensed to his father, based on a certification from the PNP Firearms and Explosives Office.

‘Deeply saddened’

Fr. Guillrey Anthony Andal, AdZU president, issued a statement expressing deep sympathies to the affected families, saying the incident left the university in shock.

“We are deeply saddened by this incident,” Andal said.

Upon learning of the situation, school officials immediately went to the site to check on the students, ensure their safety, and facilitate proper evacuation, he added.

Andal assured authorities of the university’s cooperation as President Marcos directed the PNP and other agencies to investigate the incident.

“We will cooperate fully with the investigation and ensure that accurate information is shared responsibly,” Andal said.

He announced the suspension of classes on Tuesday and declared Wednesday, Aug. 19, as a “Day of Mourning” for the AdZU community.

In its statement, AdZU said the safety of students remains its top priority as it appealed to the public to respect the privacy of all affected individuals.

PNP chief Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. said the police “will provide verified information as appropriate,” and appealed to the public “to refrain from sharing unconfirmed reports, photos, or videos that may cause unnecessary concern.”

Zamboanga City Vice Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco assured the victims’ families of assistance and emphasized that the situation remains under control.

The city government expressed deep sorrow over the incident: “Our thoughts are with everyone affected. Let us remain calm. Let us remain united. Let us remain vigilant as we work together to keep our schools and communities safe,”

Policy review

Interior and Local Government Secretary Jonvic Remulla said a review of the country’s safety policies for schools may be needed following the school shooting in Zamboanga.

Remulla said the PNP and the Department of Education (DepEd) have a memorandum circular to order police officers to monitor security measures outside schools.

“But, that is just for public schools. So now, perhaps, it’s time to call for a policy review so that we can cover private schools, too,” he said.

Education Secretary Sonny Angara said DepEd stands with the Ateneo community and is prepared to provide assistance to affected students, their families, school personnel, and authorities responding to the incident.

The DepEd is also coordinating with mental health partners to extend psychological first aid and other psychosocial support to those affected.

Tacloban incident

The Zamboanga school shooting happened despite police assurances that security in campuses across the country would be strengthened after a shooting in June in which three students of San Jose National High School in Tacloban City were killed and at least 20 others were wounded and injured.

Police arrested two students, ages 14 and 15, accused of carrying out that shooting.

Prosecutors filed three counts of murder, three counts of frustrated murder, and multiple counts of serious physical injuries against the 15-year-old suspect. The 14-year-old was not charged because of the legal exemption from criminal liability due to age.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

On July 8, the DepEd announced that active shooter drills would be conducted in public schools nationwide as a result of the incident. The drills would focus on what should be done in case of a school shooting. WITH REPORTS FROM ANDREA GREGORIO, AP, AFP AND INQUIRER RESEARCH

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.