No licence, no insurance, so no Mercedes: Langkawi JPJ seizes Bangladeshi farmer’s luxury ride

A 38-year-old Bangladeshi who works as a farmer in Langkawi lost his Mercedes-Benz after JPJ caught him driving it around Jalan Padang Matsirat on August 16, 2026 without a valid driver’s licence, an expired road tax, and no insurance.
First Published: Monday, 17 Aug 2026 7:41 PM MYT
ALOR SETAR, Aug 17 — The Kedah Road Transport Department (JPJ) seized a Mercedes-Benz vehicle used by a Bangladeshi man during Ops Luxury around Jalan Padang Matsirat, Langkawi, yesterday.
In a statement today, Kedah JPJ director Stien Van Lutam said the 38-year-old man, who works as a vegetable farmer, had been using the vehicle since May 27, 2025.
“The man was detained while transporting vegetables to be sold to a third party at a wet market in Padang Matsirat. During questioning, he claimed the vehicle belonged to him but did not disclose the actual price he paid for it.
“Checks revealed that he did not have a valid driving licence, while the motor vehicle licence (LKM) had expired and the vehicle had no insurance coverage, which lapsed on July 26,” he said, adding that the vehicle was subsequently seized.
“Kedah JPJ reminds the public that owning a luxury vehicle does not mean one is immune to the law. Every driver and vehicle on the road must comply with the stipulated regulations,” he said. — Bernama
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.