Trump cheers defense pact between Saudis, Turkey and Pakistan: ‘The Mideast is coming together’

US President Donald Trump on Sunday touted the defense pact inked earlier this month by Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan.
“It shows how the Middle East is coming together and how countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” Trump wrote on Truth Social, calling the agreement a “BIG, BOLD, IMPORTANT FIRST STEP.”
The three-way agreement, signed August 7, comes as the US-Israel war with Iran that began in late February has extended across the Middle East, including Iran-backed Houthi rebel attacks, upending the security architecture in the region and forcing a rethink of decades of conventional wisdom rooted in American military supremacy.
Pakistan’s foreign ministry said the pact meant an attack on any member would be regarded as an attack on all, adding it was “intended to strengthen collective deterrence.”
The agreement, which also rejects Israel’s hegemony, declared a “shared commitment to further strengthening their collective security and to promoting peace, security and stability in the region and beyond.”
Get The Times of Israel's Daily Edition by email and never miss our top stories
By signing up, you agree to the terms
The three countries will also share a commitment to participating in efforts to resolve the conflict between Iran and the United States.
Iran has also touted the trilateral defense deal, claiming it represent a shift away from alliances with the US.
But some analysts have downplayed attempts by either side to elevate the importance of the agreement, given that none of the participants are likely to militarily intervene on behalf of another country if it comes under attack.
Turkey, which has NATO’s second-largest army, has said the pact with nuclear-armed Pakistan and top oil exporter Saudi Arabia was open to expansion — with Egypt as a potential candidate — and did not seek to replace any existing alliances.
Help us report truthfully on social media

As a multimedia journalist, my job is to take the quality, fact-based journalism produced by The Times of Israel newsroom and make it accessible across every platform — from Instagram posts to podcasts to short-form videos.
This is how many, especially young people, consume news these days. But misinformation is rampant on social media. Our team at ToI produces accurate, responsible short-form reporting on Israel and the Jewish world.
If you believe in the importance of factual social media journalism, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. Your financial support is essential to sustain responsible multimedia reporting.
— Gabriella Jacobs, multimedia journalist
Support our work Support our work Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this
If you’d like to comment, join
The Times of Israel Community.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.