ESPN DeportesGalaxy y Earthquakes provocan bostezos en el debut de Chucky Lozano en LAInquirerMaguindanao clans settle decades-old feudDaily MaverickPrince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain, media reports sayESPNWings star Fudd out for season with knee injuryPunchIsese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare Thursday work-freeוואלהפולין: חיל האוויר העלה כוננות עקב התקיפות הרוסיות בקייבBollywood HungamaSonu Nigam reacts to impersonator case settlement; says, “Saste mein chhoot gaya bahut”SözcüOkullarda 20 yeni yasak: 81 ile genelge gönderdiCNN TürkHava Durumu (20-08-2026)The Sydney Morning HeraldAlan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ cross-examination continues after text messages showing rift between former 2GB radio figures revealedNOS SportConference League kan zegen zijn voor Ajax, dat selectie nog niet op orde heeftHong Kong Free PressCK Hutchison seeks over US$1.5 billion from Panama over port takeover
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Albany residents cut off from mains gas to get compensation

Translate

AJS Presser snap

Amber-Jade Sanderson says electrification is going to be the future. (ABC Great Southern: Caris Harper)

In short:

Gas supplier ATCO announced it was decommissioning its mains gas network in the regional city of Albany, about 420 kilometres south of Perth, earlier this year.

With no contractual obligations to compensate its customers for the cost of transitioning away from mains gas, ATCO has voluntarily contributed $5.5 million to the state government's $21 million fund, announced today.

What's next?

Works to decommission the network will begin before the end of July 2027, and is estimated to take three years to complete.

Thousands of residents and business owners who were forced off mains gas will be eligible for compensation to fund the switch to mains gas or electricity, the state government has announced.

The $21 million package includes $5.5 million from ATCO, the Canadian infrastructure company, which in January walked away from its contract to supply reticulated gas to Albany.

It said it did not want to foot the $80 million bill to maintain the aging network.

Drone shot of Albany with harbour and marina in the foreground.

ATCO's mains gas network services thousands of homes and businesses in the regional coastal city. (ABC News)

About $16 million of the package has been set aside to compensate the 6,000 small businesses and homes that will need to transition away from mains gas.

The government has estimated the standard cost of transitioning to gas bottles at $1,600 per customer, which they can allocate towards electrification instead.

Energy and Decarbonisation Minister Amber-Jade Sanderson told the ABC that while the package assumed most people would opt for LPG bottles, WA Labor government still wanted people to electrify.

"We know that gas is a transition fuel," she said.

"Over the medium to long term, electrification is going to be the future.

"Ultimately, people want a choice whether they continue with gas or whether they put that funding towards electrification."

Man wearing suit jacket talking in front of microphones.

Greg Stocks has been a vocal critic of ATCO's decision to walk away from the city's mains gas network. (ABC Great Southern: Andrew Chounding)

But Albany Mayor Greg Stocks said the cost of electrifying could be upwards of $10,000 per customer.

"When you look at the potential cost of that, it's over $200 million for the number of customers," he told the ABC.

"So I think the economics have swayed that argument."

He urged residents to wait until the funding was available before taking action.

"What I will say to customers, do nothing until you know how you can access this package," Mr Stocks said.

"If you do this before the package is announced, you run the risk of not being able to access that fund."

a cook top

The government says it will offer commercial businesses that use a lot of gas free energy audits to assess their options. (ABC Great Southern: Andrew Chounding)

As part of the announcement, the state government said it was carrying out an assessment to ensure the region had enough plumbers and gas fitters to lead the switch locally.

It will also offer free energy audits to businesses, like restaurants, that use a lot of gas.

Works to decommission the network will begin before the end of July 2027, and is estimated to take three years to complete.

More information on the transition and customer eligibility will be announced in October. 

View the original on ABC News (Australia)

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.