וואלהתחזית מזג האוויר: עלייה נוספת בטמפרטורות והכבדה בעומסי החוםThe Jerusalem PostIsrael must investigate itself: IDF accountability strengthens the country - editorialInquirerPAF vows sanctions for violators of awards, promotions policyESPN DeportesLA Galaxy vence a Earthquakes con Chucky en la cancha한겨레스페인 일간 마르카, 이강인에 별 3개 주며 “새로운 영웅 탄생” 극찬SözcüOkul bahçesinde kanlı buluşma! Arkadaşını 3 yerinden bıçakladıCNN TürkYıldız Tilbe Harbiye’de ayakta alkışlandı! Roman havasıyla coşturduSky TG24Guerra Ucraina Russia, attacco missilistico su Kiev: almeno 7 morti e 30 feriti. LIVE20 MinutenHollywoodstar Naomi Watts kommt mit Nazi-Film ans ZFFSBS 뉴스[바로이뉴스] "사실이면 난 한기호 아들"…'탈영 의혹' "노코멘트" 진실은?Il Fatto QuotidianoGli incendi continuano e il caldo non molla: al governo che non fa nulla darei una medaglia al disonore civileSouth China Morning PostHong Kong pet owner barred from leaving city pending trial over fatal dog attacks
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Maguindanao clans settle decades-old feud

Translate
TRUCE. Elders of warring clans shake hands as a gesture of acceptance of the peace covenant, ending their long-running family feud in Maguindanao del Norte province. PHOTO FROM BULDON LGU

COTABATO CITY—Four major Moro clans in Maguindanao del Norte that had been locked in decades-old “rido” (family feud) finally buried the hatchet on Wednesday following interventions by local government leaders.

An important step toward peace and unity was achieved with the successful settlement of the bloody dispute involving members of the Mocsin, Undaki, Panaronsong and Talib clans, whose conflict had affected the peace and order condition in the adjoining towns of Buldon, Matanog and Barira, a complex that once hosted the main stronghold of Moro revolutionaries.

They agreed to sign a peace covenant through the joint efforts led by mayors grouped under the Iranun Development Council (IDC), the Iranun Ulama Council, and the office of Bangsamoro interim Chief Minister Abdulraof Macacua.

Article continues after this advertisement

Mayor Cahar Ibay of Parang, Mayor Zohria Bansil of Matanog, Mayor Pahmia Masurong of Buldon and Mayor Abdul Rauf Tomawis of Barira initiated the settlement.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

Representatives of the four clans signed the peace deal in the presence of local officials and swore before the Holy Quran that they would no longer resort to violence as a way of dealing with whatever disputes might arise.

The initiative aims to restore peace and unity, prevent the cycle of violence and retaliation between feuding families, replace anger with understanding, prevent conflicts from escalating, and avoid further loss of lives.

“Peace and unity are the keys to achieving greater development and progress in our communities, let us not stop working for peace,” said Ibay, who is also IDC chair.

“Development will not come to municipalities if families remain engaged in feuds that cause unrest and insecurity to their communities,” he added.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: ‘Rido’ grips Bangsamoro campaign trail, displaces thousands

READ: DOJ forms multiagency group to resolve ‘ridos’

Article continues after this advertisement

Moving forward

Ibay said the warring parties have agreed, during settlement process, not to mention the number of fatalities and injuries as a result of their disputes, but move forward toward achieving peace.

“I am happy to note that all the warring families have declared an end to their feuds,” he said.

Since January this year, at least 20 families locked in clan conflicts have been settled by the IDC with the help of the Bangsamoro government.

Through constructive dialogue, listening to both sides, and reaching a mutual agreement, the parties were able to resolve their differences, Masurong said.

“The process demonstrated that through dialogue, respect and understanding, disputes can be settled without allowing the situation to escalate,” the mayor added.

“This agreement serves as a reminder that every dispute can be resolved peacefully when there is open communication, respect, understanding, and a genuine desire for reconciliation,” Buldon Vice Mayor Abolais Aratuc Manalao said.

He praised the Bangsamoro Ministry of Public Order and Safety for its guidance and assistance in the peaceful settlement process.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

The recent rido settlement augurs well for the peaceful conduct of the Sept. 14 regional parliamentary elections in the so-called Iranun complex amid a general escalation of tension in Central Mindanao tied to the upcoming political exercise in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.