The Jerusalem PostIsraeli artificial intelligence-based start-up acquired for millions by British holding companyESPN DeportesChucky Lozano debuta en casa del Galaxy enfrentando a Earthquakesוואלהשר החוץ האמריקני מרקו רוביו ייפגש עם מקבילתו הקנדיתESPNGrading the Peyton Watson multiteam trade (and more): Which team gets a D?한겨레미, 장기국채 금리 잡으려 바이백 확대했지만…‘미봉책’ 지적SözcüKaymakamlık kurşunladı aylık kesme cezası aldıUOLFlamengo vence Cruzeiro (2-1) e vai às quartas de final da Libertadores erc/cl/aamThe Sydney Morning HeraldAlan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ cross-examination continues after text messages showing rift between former 2GB radio figures revealedNew Straits TimesPSG start Ligue 1 defence with eye on Champions League hat-trickSBS 뉴스김민석 "'법치 파괴 조희대 물러나야' 현수막 전국에 걸도록"경향신문“아파트 순찰하는 로봇”…LG CNS, 사족보행 ‘경비 로봇’ 검증 진행La NaciónIndependiente Santa Fe y River empataron 0-0 por la Copa Sudamericana
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Israeli ambassador breaks silence as Israeli review clears soldiers over Zomi Frankcom strike

Translate

Israel’s military has cleared its personnel of any criminal wrongdoing over an April 2024 strike in Gaza which killed seven aid workers including Australian Zomi Frankcom.

The Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) released a series of decisions on Wednesday regarding five incidents including the deaths of the World Central Kitchen (WCK) workers, and whether it would conduct criminal investigations.

Australian Zomi Frankcom was killed in an airstrike at a World Central Kitchen site in 2024.

Frankcom, 43, and six colleagues died on April 1, 2024 when the vehicle they were travelling in was fired upon while delivering aid in Gaza.

The IDF said its soldiers had “mistakenly believed that the vehicles contained Hamas military operatives and therefore struck the vehicles”.

It claimed that attempts were made to contact WCK representatives during “the approximately half-hour period in which the convoy vehicles were tracked on the understanding that they contained Hamas operatives”, but those attempts were unsuccessful.

The Israeli military said the presence of armed security to accompany the convoy “was not coordinated with IDF authorities” and the vehicles had deviated from the route arranged in advance, while several people were also mistakenly identified as armed persons.

“Following review of all findings of the factual assessment, it was determined that, notwithstanding serious failures in the process that led to the assessment that Hamas operatives were travelling in the vehicles, the decisions of the commanders did not raise reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct,” the IDF said.

It added that there was “no reasonable suspicion of criminal misconduct that would justify the opening of a criminal investigation”.

Two Israeli officers were dismissed from their positions and three senior officers were formally reprimanded, according to the Israeli military.

Earlier on Wednesday, and prior to the IDF’s statement, Foreign Minister Penny Wong spoke at a Parliament House event attended by Frankcom’s family as she launched the Zomi Frankcom Humanitarian Award.

“I want to make it clear that the Australian government continues to press the Israeli government for full accountability for the deaths of Zomi and her World Central Kitchen colleagues,” Wong said. “Zomi and her family deserve justice.”

In a report released in July 2024, former Australian Defence Force chief Mark Binskin found that “a significant breakdown in situational awareness” by the Israeli military caused the strike that killed Frankcom, adding he did not believe the charity workers were deliberately targeted.

The IDF said its Fact-Finding and Assessment Mechanism had reviewed approximately 150 incidents since the beginning of the war, then transferred them for examination by the Military Prosecution.

It said it would conduct criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and her family, who were trapped in a vehicle in Gaza City and pleading for help by phone in February 2024, and the killing of 15 Palestinian paramedics as they drove in the southern city of Rafah in May 2025.

The military also decided not to take criminal action over the killings of four staffers from Doctors Without Borders in two separate instances in November 2023 and February 2024.

with Reuters/AP

Get a note directly from our foreign correspondents on what’s making headlines around the world. Sign up for our weekly What in the World newsletter.

View the original on The Sydney Morning Herald

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.