PunchFriends-turned-foes: How a woman became central to Odumodublvck, BlaqBonez feudESPNTransfer rumors, news: Man United move for Racing Santander left backBollywood HungamaIndra Kumar, Ashok Thakeria face FIR over alleged Rs 1.50 crores Dhamaal Rights fraudThe Jerusalem Post'Better off delivering empty speeches': Katz warns Erdogan against 'dragging' Turkey into SyriaInquirerFlood displaces 233 families in Lian, Batangasוואלהכ"ץ מאיים על ארדואן: "אל תעמיד למבחן את נחישותה של ישראל"CNN TürkJaponya’da işçilere tren çarptı: 4’ü de kurtarılamadıSRF NewsKurz vor dem Heim-GP – Verstappen verlängert bis 2030 bei Red BullGolem.deKartografie: China stellt neue detaillierte Mondkarte vorComplete SportsLampard Backs Awoniyi To Shine At Coventry CityRFI 中文长和就港口争议展开国际仲裁 向巴拿马索偿逾15亿美元Il Fatto QuotidianoWorld Central Kitchen, Israele archivia l’indagine penale sull’uccisione dei 7 operatori umanitari. Governo australiano: “Indignati”
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

South Korea says North Korea may have up to 120 nuclear warheads

Translate

South Korea estimates North Korea has 80-120 nuclear warheads, a figure well above US President Donald Trump’s recent estimate of 57.

Follow us on Google
A North Korea flag flutters next to concertina wire at the North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia March 9, 2017.
A North Korea flag flutters next to concertina wire at the North Korean embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia March 9, 2017.
(photo credit: EDGAR SU/ REUTERS)
ByREUTERS

South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than US President Donald Trump's recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons.

Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers that North Korea was generally believed to have around 80 to 120 warheads, although he cautioned it was difficult to determine an exact figure.

"We usually see it as around 80 to 120, but it is considerably limited to state an exact number," Ahn told a parliamentary committee.

Later, Ahn clarified that the figure was derived from estimates by private research organisations, adding that South Korea's military could not officially confirm the numbers.

Asked about Trump's comment a day earlier that Kim possessed 57 "very powerful nuclear weapons", Ahn said, "the numbers appear somewhat different."

U.S. President Donald Trump meets with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas, in Panmunjom, South Korea, June 30, 2019
U.S. President Donald Trump meets with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un at the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas, in Panmunjom, South Korea, June 30, 2019 (credit: KEVIN LAMARQUE/REUTERS)

Trump made the remark at the White House on Wednesday while discussing North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his plans to meet him later this year.

South Korea has traditionally avoided publicly disclosing detailed estimates of North Korea's nuclear stockpile and does not officially recognize Pyongyang as a nuclear weapons state under its long-standing policy supporting denuclearisation.

Ahn reiterated that position when asked whether the government acknowledged North Korea as a nuclear-armed state.

"We cannot officially acknowledge that," he said.

He also declined to comment on whether Trump's reference to 57 warheads amounted to US recognition of North Korea's nuclear status, saying it would not be appropriate for South Korea's defence minister to comment on the US president's remarks.

Ahn said South Korea would continue to rely on the US nuclear umbrella, in line with Seoul's longstanding non-nuclear policy.

'We cannot develop nuclear weapons' South Korea's defence minister says 

"We cannot develop nuclear weapons. Nor should we accept the deployment of US tactical nuclear weapons," Ahn said.

The comments came as Trump seeks to revive engagement with Kim after ordering a scale-back of joint US-South Korean military drills, which he described as "hostile" to North Korea.

North Korea responded coolly to the move. Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of the North Korean leader, said the reduced exercises remained provocative and aggressive despite their shortened duration.

She dismissed any suggestion that Pyongyang would view the move as a meaningful goodwill gesture and said she was unaware of any recent contacts between Trump and Kim, although she described the personal relationship between the leaders as "excellent."

Trump said at the White House on Wednesday that he expected to meet Kim later this year, potentially reviving diplomacy that stalled after a series of unprecedented summits in 2018 and 2019 collapsed over disagreements on sanctions relief and North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.

View the original on The Jerusalem Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.