Daily MaverickGROUNDUP : ‘Disgrace’: Eastern Cape Education Department admits it unlawfully withheld billions from schoolsPunch2027: Christian group cautions politicians against ethnic, religious campaignsBollywood HungamaSCOOP: Himesh Reshammiya Melodies on a roll! After Yeh Prem Mol Liya and Gunmaaster G9, label bags music rights of Anil Sharma’s Arjun Nagaוואלהישראל וקולומביה אישרו: פטור הדדי מויזות החל מספטמברRTP DesportoFC Porto recebe Arouca em jogo pela liderança, Marítimo espreitaThe Jerusalem PostIranian FM Araghchi says Trump’s ‘economic D-Day’ will bring ‘further defeat’ to USInquirerShelters in Batangas town shut down as displaced families return homeUOLPromessa de Cleitinho sobre IPVA em Minas contraria entendimento do STFIl Fatto QuotidianoLa famiglia nel bosco “assediata da turisti per selfie e video: “Grazie, ma ci serve privacy”RTL BoulevardPelle helpt boer op Westelijke Jordaanoever: 'We zijn ook een menselijk schild'Evening StandardAbigail's Party at Harold Pinter Theatre review: A deeply enjoyable dinner party from hellThe IndependentWhat does Labour’s GCSE resit shake-up mean for young people and parents?
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Ndume urges military to intensify efforts to rescue Borno abductees

Translate
Mohammed Ndume

Mohammed Ndume. Photo credit: Web

The Senator representing Borno South, Mohammed Ndume, has called on the Nigerian military to intensify efforts towards the rescue of school children and travellers abducted from communities across Southern part of the state, saying they have stayed for over 100 days in captivity.

The request, according to a post on the Senator’s official Facebook page on Thursday, covers schoolchildren abducted from Mussa and Lassa communities, Askira Uba local government area, passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe in Gwoza local government area of the state.

Ndume, who made the appeal during a visit to the Headquarters of the Theatre Command, Northeast Joint Taskforce Operation Hadin Kai in Maiduguri on Wednesday, commended the Nigerian military for its sustained efforts in combating insurgency, but insisted that the school children and other victims have stayed too long away from their families.

He said, “Most importantly, General, I know you are putting in your best efforts towards the rescue of our children in Mussa and Lassa, the passengers abducted along the Buratai axis and the remaining victims from Ngoshe.

“We know you are making efforts, but because of the anxiety we all share and the length of time these people have remained away from their families, I have to continue to push for greater effort.”

He noted that some of the victims have now spent more than 100 days away from their families, creating deep anxiety among relatives and communities.

He, however, said that the appeal should not be interpreted as a failure to recognise the sacrifices and efforts of the military, but rather as a reflection of the responsibility of a representative to continue speaking for his people and demanding action where necessary.

“Like Oliver Twist, I have come to ask for more for my people. It is my moral obligation to commend you when you do well and also bring the concerns of my constituents before you,” he said.

He commended the military coordination and synergy among the security agencies, describing it as a major factor behind the gains recorded in the fight against insurgency.

Responding, the Theatre Commander, Major General Abubakar Abdulsalam, thanked the Senator for the visit and assured him that the concerns raised over the abducted victims had been noted.

The commander reiterated the commitment of the Nigerian Army and other security agencies to ongoing operations aimed at protecting communities, stabilising affected areas and ensuring the safe return of residents displaced by years of insurgency.

He attributed the successes being recorded in the theatre to the support of the Chief of Army Staff, whom he said has a deep understanding of the operational environment in the North-East.

The PUNCH had reported that 42 pupils were abducted from Mussa Primary and Junior Secondary School in Mussa on May 15 following an attack by suspected insurgents.

Similarly, on June 29, suspected insurgents attacked Government Day Secondary School, Lassa, in Askira/Uba Local Government Area, abducting 36 students and one teacher.

The two incidents brought the reported number of abducted students to 78.

View the original on Punch

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.