InquirerASF hits 2 cities, town in CamSurDaily MaverickMore than 180,000 without power in Hawaii, 100 homes damaged as Lala weakens to tropical stormThe Jerusalem PostMissing Israeli found dead on side of road in Finland after disappearing during solo cycling tripESPN DeportesCruz Azul reta el invicto de Tijuana en la fronteraוואלהרעידת אדמה בעוצמה 5.87 הכתה באינדונזיהPunchNigeria targets local production of military hardware, anti-drone systemsESPNVikings lose Adams for season due to knee injuryالنهارمن قُصرة إلى الأغوار... الاستيطان يرسم ممراً جديداً في قلب الضفة한겨레제프 딘 삽질 취재기 [두런두런 AI ⑲]Daily MailHayden Panettiere dead at age 36New Straits TimesFatigue hampers Kai Le's 67-metre target despite record Sukma throwABC NewsHayden Panettiere dies at 36
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Mangione pleads guilty in federal case, says he shot UnitedHealthcare CEO

Translate

It's expected that a guilty plea will be announced in connection with the federal prosecution of Luigi Mangione during a conference scheduled for federal court Friday, sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.

The sources caution that plans for the guilty plea are not final at this point and will not be official until announced at the hearing, which is set for 11 a.m. Friday. The situation is fluid and Mangione could conceivably decide against pleading guilty between now and Friday.

Neither the prosecution nor defense teams are commenting on the situation.

Luigi Mangione, accused of the murder of United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson, appears for a pre-trial hearing at Manhattan Criminal Court in New York, on August 11, 2026.

David Dee Delgado/POOL/AFP via Getty Images

Mangione is accused of gunning down UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson on Dec. 4, 2024, in Midtown Manhattan, and he was captured in Pennsylvania after a five-day manhunt. Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announced that Mangione was indicted on first degree murder charges on Dec. 17, 2024, and federal prosecutors announced separate charges of stalking and murder on Dec. 19, 2024.  

Mangione pleaded not guilty in the separate state and federal cases.

The charges in both cases have narrowed over the last year. U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett in January threw out the federal murder and firearm charges, which would have made the death penalty an option if convicted. Judge Gregory Carro last September dismissed the first-degree murder and terrorism charges in the state case.

In the state case, Judge Gregory Carro last September dismissed the first-degree murder and terrorism charges. In the state case, Mangione is still charged with murder in the second-degree, criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second-degree, and multiple counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second-degree, third-degree and fourth-degree.

Mangione is scheduled to stand trial in the state case beginning Sept. 8. His federal trial was set for Jan. 5.

View the original on ABC News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.