The Jerusalem PostEisenkot leaps ahead as Likud support falters, projected to win 26 Knesset seats - pollBollywood HungamaSpirit Controversy: Pranay Reddy Vanga claims Deepika Padukone made ‘unreasonable’ demands; says, “She demanded 10 percent from the film’s profit”CNN TürkVenezuela’da izi siliniyor! Maduro kaderine mi terk edildi?ESPNTransfer rumors, news: Liverpool looking at Wharton as Jones replacementInquirerTaal Volcano logs 46 volcanic earthquakes, up from 14PunchMorning recap: States get N435bn for security, Atiku’s subsidy push opposed, other top storiesוואלהנקבע מותו של גבר כבן 31 שנפצע באירוע אלימות בעראבהDaily MaverickWHAT WE’RE WATCHING: The Invite: Olivia Wilde invites you to a sharp, awkward dinner-party satire한겨레농심·오뚜기 이어 팔도도 올린다…라면업계 컵라면 가격 인상 잇달아SözcüNe elektrik ne gaz: Yemekler artık bu şekilde pişiriliyorInquirer EntertainmentTupac’s unshakable legacy and the long road to accountabilityUOLHomem é condenado a 24 anos de prisão por matar cientista social
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

10 houses destroyed, 2 of which buried in sand in Zambales town

Translate

SAN MARCELINO, Zambales — Two homes in the Zambales town of San Marcelino were buried in sand and sediment after days of strong currents in the Sta. Fe River.

In a telephone interview on Thursday (Aug. 20), Arsenio Edar Mauricio III, head of Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office said a residential compound on the northern side of the river in Barangay Sta. Fe became a catch basin for the strong river current, which carried sand and sediment into the area.

“It was the accumulated effect of the strong water current of the Sta. Fe River,” Mauricio said which stirred up on Aug. 9.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: Over 500 Zambales folk evacuated amid rains, flooding

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

In previous days, residents could only see floodwaters covering the area. But as the water receded Thursday amid warmer weather, the extent of the damage became visible, including houses buried under layers of sand and sediment.

Other houses classified as totally damaged were affected by fallen trees.

Homes in Barangay Sta. Fe, San Marcelino, Zambales, remain buried under sand and sediment brought by the strong current of the Sta. Fe River (Photos courtesy of Joan Celeste Espiritu Manzano via San Marcelino PIO)
Homes in Barangay Sta. Fe, San Marcelino, Zambales, remain buried under sand and sediment brought by the strong current of the Sta. Fe River (Photos courtesy of Joan Celeste Espiritu Manzano via San Marcelino PIO) 

Based on the partial damage assessment, 10 houses with estimated losses reaching P8.5 million in Barangay Sta. Fe were totally damaged,  including the two houses buried in sand while other houses were affected by fallen trees.

Some 22 houses were partially damaged within the municipality with estimated losses of P1.7 million.

Article continues after this advertisement

No casualties were reported as residents had been preemptively evacuated early from the affected areas.

Meanwhile, around 800 residents on the northern side of the river have remained isolated since Aug. 9 after floodwaters damaged a portion of the dike and swept away a bridge. 

Article continues after this advertisement

The river also overflowed anew on Aug. 19, sending floodwaters into the barangay hall and multi-purpose hall. INQ /mr

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.