Bollywood HungamaSCOOP: Emraan Hashmi starrer Gunmaaster G9 teaser to play in theatres with Yash starrer ToxicThe Jerusalem Post'My Other Half': Sex, drugs, rock & roll, philosophy, and cynicism - book reviewPunchResist foreign scrutiny over 33-year-old allegations against Tinubu, Buratai tells NigeriansCNN TürkBeşiktaş, Leon Goretzka transferinde şartları zorlayacakDaily MaverickPOETRY CORNER: Arrive at your own door: on feathered things and finally meeting the selfRTP DesportoCanoístas Iago Bebiano e André Moreira de prata no K2 500 metrosInquirer5 missing fishermen found safe in Oriental Mindoro townالنهارهل تبلّغ لبنان عن أنفاق لـ"حزب الله" في بعلبك من الوفد الإسرائيلي المفاوض؟한겨레김회승 전 한겨레 논설위원 청와대 직행에…언론계 안팎 “신뢰 훼손” 비판וואלהפנחס עידן לא יערער על הדחתו מהליכוד: "רה"מ החליט שאני הגורם הזדוני"ColliderDisney Officially Confirms New Hero for Its Villain-Inspired Anime Seriesn-tv"Wirtschaftskrieg" gegen Teheran: Das bedeutet die Hängepartie im Iran-Krieg für Autofahrer
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

PM approves additional RM1m for Hindu crematorium project in Bagan, says PHEB

Translate
Bagan Dalam State Assemblyman Kumaran Krishnan (third from right) shows the site of a modern Hindu crematorium construction project to Penang Hindu Endowments Board (PHEB) Chairman RSN Rayer (2nd right) in Bagan August 23, 2026. — Bernama pic

Bagan Dalam State Assemblyman Kumaran Krishnan (third from right) shows the site of a modern Hindu crematorium construction project to Penang Hindu Endowments Board (PHEB) Chairman RSN Rayer (2nd right) in Bagan August 23, 2026. — Bernama pic

First Published: Sunday, 23 Aug 2026 4:29 PM MYT

BUTTERWORTH, Aug 23 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim has approved an additional RM1 million allocation to the Penang State Hindu Endowments Board (PHEB) for the construction of a modern Hindu crematorium in Bagan here,  said PHEB chairman RSN Rayer.

He said the additional allocation brought the total funding for the project to RM2.5 million, up from the RM1.5 million previously approved by Anwar.

He said the original RM1.5 million allocation was found to be insufficient to implement the project, which is much needed by the Hindu community, particularly in Seberang Perai. It will be Penang’s second modern electric crematorium, after the facility in Batu Lanchang.

“This additional approval reflects the concern and commitment of the Madani Government and the Prime Minister in ensuring that the needs of Malaysia’s multiracial and multireligious communities are given fair attention,” he said at a press conference at the project site on Jalan Siram today.

Also present were Bagan Member of Parliament Lim Guan Eng and Bagan Dalam state assemblyman Kumaran Krishnan.

Meanwhile, Kumaran said the crematorium was important in providing a more organised, suitable and comfortable facility for the Hindu community to perform final rites according to their customs and religious beliefs.

He said the facility would also reduce the reliance of the Hindu community in Seberang Perai on crematorium facilities located farther away.

“This is a long-term facility for the benefit of the Hindu community, particularly in Seberang Perai and the surrounding areas,” he said.

Kumaran said the approval of the additional allocation was the result of a joint application and efforts by Lim and Rayer, who had written to Anwar to seek additional funding to ensure that the project could be implemented more comprehensively.

He said the tender process for the construction of the approximately 4,000-square-foot crematorium had been opened, and the project was expected to be fully completed by the middle of next year. — Bernama

View the original on Malay Mail

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.