The Jerusalem PostRemembering IDF soldiers who lost their lives to hidden wounds - opinionBollywood HungamaSunny Deol says he will never do pan masala ads: “I don't want to do something which I don't believe in”CNN TürkDünya mirasının kalbi 2027’de İstanbul’da atacakוואלהשישה פצועים בתאונה בין שלושה כלי רכב בכביש 92 סמוך לרמותPunchDiri praises deputy governor’s humility, capacity한겨레8월 18일 한겨레 그림판Inquirer1 dead, 1 hurt in Taguig City shooting – policeUOLBTG/Nexus: Flávio Bolsonaro e Lula seguem como mais rejeitados, com 50 % e 48%, respectivamenteBBC SportDean to captain England against IrelandCNN بالعربيةقد يكون الأخير له في الملاعب.. ماذا يمكن أن يحقق رونالدو هذا الموسم؟Daily MailPictured: Eritrean migrant, 33, who raped an elderly man outside a church after dragging him off a benchSeeking AlphaCentene CFO Drew Asher to step down
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Indonesian mother 'grateful' after emergency birth during 7.7 quake

Translate

The 39-year-old went in for emergency surgery as a 7.7 earthquake and a series of aftershocks ravaged the East Nusa Tenggara province, the country's worst disaster since 2022, fighting off the tremors and her declining health to deliver her fourth child.

"During the surgery, I was not afraid," Maria, who lives in the region of Nagekeo, close to the quake's epicentre, said. "I had to be healthy for my kids."

Her delivery came two months ahead of schedule due to a complicated pregnancy that posed risks for both Maria and her child, forcing doctors to use flashlights to perform the surgery during intermittent power outages as the hospital building shook mercilessly. Her doctors said Maria could have suffered from a fatal seizure had they delayed the birth.

"We had no choice," said Maria's obstetrician, Yona Sara Pardede. "As humans we were afraid ... the surgery was difficult as she was a small baby. I ask God, please help us. We don't even have a ventilator."

Finally, her daughter, Gempita, was born, named after the Indonesian word for earthquake: 'Gempa.'

FEAR OF AFTERSHOCKS

Saturday's disaster, the country's deadliest since a 2022 quake killed hundreds in West Java, has so far killed 54 people across the East Nusa Tenggara province.

Many medical professionals across Indonesia's southernmost province treated people with injuries outside in tents as the quake damaged hundreds of hospitals and homes.

On Monday, rescuers scoured the area for people feared trapped under rubble and were sending aid via planes, authorities said.

Residents sheltered outside in evacuation tents with several saying they needed clean water and food. Most were afraid to return to their homes for fear of aftershocks.

Born at just 1.3 kilograms (2.87 lbs) during aftershocks, Gempita remained stable in an incubator placed on a patch of grass in a tent outdoors as the sun beat down on Nagekeo.

Maria, who suffered a haemorrhage after her birth, said she was grateful to still be alive.

"I was very grateful for the doctors, even when the room had collapsed, they did not abandon us," she said.

View the original on Daily Maverick

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.