CNN TürkCNN International'a konuşan askerler itiraf etti: Ukrayna’da mühimmat bitti mi?PunchICYMI: How to apply for FG loan to build, buy a houseESPNTransfer rumors, news: Galatasaray offer Bruno Fernandes double his salaryוואלהדובר צה"ל: מיירט שוגר לעבר מטרת שווא בזרעית - האירוע מתוחקרThe Jerusalem PostAfghan journalist explains her escape from Taliban after restrictions on women in broadcastingInquirer EntertainmentNewsBites: Gloc-9 sings new UAAP anthem; Nanao returns with new track한겨레이 대통령, 사직서 낸 정성호 장관에 “인사 때까지 역할 다해달라”InquirerZamboanga school shooting alarms CWC, vows to boost child safetyCNewsGOFFEE навынос: F6 исследовала новые техники шпионской группировкиХабрДиалоги ИИMalay MailProsecution appeals Zizie Izette’s acquittal in RM2.8m corruption case tied to Felcra unit trustNTVKuzey Marmara'da yürek yakan kaza. 3 kardeş yan yana toprağa verildi
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

LTO personnel fired, loses license over ‘drunk’ hit-and-run

Translate
Land Transportation Office
Land Transportation Office. Inquirer photo.

MANILA, Philippines — A Land Transportation Office (LTO) employee who allegedly hit two pedestrians with his car and fled the scene in Rizal has been fired and permanently banned from driving, according to the agency.

In a press conference on Tuesday, LTO Chief Markus Lacanilao said he ordered the employee’s dismissal and the filing of administrative cases after finding that he had been driving under the influence of alcohol in Antipolo City last Friday.

Lacanilao also ordered the perpetual revocation of the employee’s driver’s license.

Article continues after this advertisement

“You are from LTO and yet you drove drunk and fled? You were already blocked by police, and you still fled,” he said.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

“We do not tolerate our own people. If we need to send them to jail, we will send them to jail,” he added, noting that the suspect is currently detained in Antipolo.

READ: LTO employee nabbed after case of hit-and-run in Rizal

In a statement, the Rizal Police Provincial Office said the 39-year-old male suspect was driving a sedan when he struck two women along Sumulong Highway in Barangay Sta. Cruz late at night.

He sped away but was eventually caught and turned over to police custody after an off-duty cop witnessed the incident and chased the suspect.

Article continues after this advertisement

READ: 56 LTO personnel face administrative cases

Police also said the suspect is facing criminal charges for reckless imprudence resulting in physical injury and abandonment of one’s own victim.

Article continues after this advertisement

The LTO chief also announced the dismissal of two other LTO employees involved in separate hit-and-run and illegal counterflow cases.

Lacanilao said he sacked an employee in Cebu who hit a cyclist with an agency patrol car and failed to stop to assist the victim. An employee in the Cagayan Valley region was also fired after being caught counterflowing without an emergency.

Lacanilao warned LTO employees against committing similar offenses, citing a “no tolerance” policy.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.

Your subscription has been successful.

“To all our other employees in LTO, if you can’t follow my rules, leave LTO. We will not agree. Despite your positions, I will fire you,” he said. — Andre Esguerra, INQUIRER.net trainee /mcm

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.