ESPNNFL Future Power Rankings: We stacked all 32 teams based on expectations for 2027 to 2029Daily MaverickIf SA keeps failing to implement plans, it’s time to rethink planningPunchBREAKING: Edo Assembly gets new speakerThe Jerusalem PostUS-Iran talks hit new impasse as MoU's 60-day deadline expires with no dealוואלהנתניהו נפגש עם קושנר ובכירי מועצת השלום; הפגישה נמשכת יותר משעתייםRTP Desporto12h30 Benfica sem margem para errar com Casa PiaBollywood HungamaEXCLUSIVE: Ram Gopal Varma’s Police Company to be made in two parts; shooting begins todayInquirerLPA may become storm in 2 days as habagat persists – PagasaTagesschauDie politische Risse hinter der Militärparade in WarschauGolem.dePhotovoltaik: Kommerzielle Perowskit-Solarzellen bestehen LangzeittestSportstarMohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC LIVE score: MBSG 1-1 JFC; Sahal scores in 2nd minute; Durand Cup 2026 quarterfinal updatesEgypt IndependentIran inflation “alarming” with basic food items a luxury for many, Iranian media says
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Car washes, window cleaning and private pools could face restrictions on water use, ministers warned

Translate

Car washes, gyms and sports pitches could face bans on water use as ministers are warned widespread bans could be brought in amid a nationwide drought.

Government planners have warned further restrictions could be extended to more businesses as non-essential use bans (NEUBs) could become more common.

NEUBs limit the use of water for non-essential use such as for window washing and refilling of swimming pools in places such as gyms.

They are applied for by water companies, and authorised by ministers.

Restrictions could also be imposed on football pitches, though it is understood these could be issued with government exemptions.

NEUBs limit the use of water for non-essential use such as for window washing and refilling of private swimming pools

NEUBs limit the use of water for non-essential use such as for window washing and refilling of private swimming pools (Getty/iStock)

So far, there has currently only one NEUB request has been submitted by Southern Water.

A government spokesperson said: "As any responsible government would, we are preparing for a range of scenarios and working with the National Drought Group to help maintain water supplies.

"We expect water companies to follow their established drought management plans and go further and faster to reduce leaks.

“We are clear that the water sector is not working for bill payers. That is why we are driving long-term change, including requiring companies to deliver record investment in infrastructure and changing the planning system to enable the construction of nine new reservoirs."

It comes as almost three-quarters of England, and all of Wales, has been plunged into drought after the driest July on record.

By 15 July this year, the UK had already recorded more days above 30C than in the whole of 1976, which was known for its long-lasting heatwave.

Prime minister Andy Burnham warned just last week that Britain is a “tinderbox” as he visited Stourbridge in the West Midlands, where firefighters have been tackling wildfires.

Prime minister Andy Burnham warned just last week that Britain is a “tinderbox” as he visited Stourbridge in the West Midlands, where firefighters have been tackling wildfires.

Prime minister Andy Burnham warned just last week that Britain is a “tinderbox” as he visited Stourbridge in the West Midlands, where firefighters have been tackling wildfires.

Britain recently experienced its fifth heatwave of the summer with the hottest day of the year recorded in Kew Gardens, London, on Thursday when temperatures reached 38.1C. Meanwhile, certain areas of south England have gone 60 days without rainfall, causing widespread drought.

On Friday, millions of people in England and Wales received an alert on their mobile devices warning them of a “very high risk of wildfires nationally”.

Several fire services have since uploaded statements asking people to only call 999 to report a genuine emergency.

Wildfires have ravaged parts of the UK, including in the West Midlands, where a blaze in Stourbridge destroyed 19 homes.

West Midlands Fire Service said they had been able to “significantly lift” cordons as households who were evacuated started returning to their homes over the weekend.

South Wales Fire and Rescue Service responded to “significant wildfire activity” on Sunday, with crews attending 14 wildfire incidents.

View the original on The Independent

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.