CNN TürkABD Tiktok için kararını verdi: "Çocuk gizliliği" davasında 400 milyon dolarlık ceza!PunchAnambra security forces kill six suspected secessionists, lose operative in gun battleESPNRanking the 25 best players in the NWSL right now: Rodman? Lavelle? Who's No. 1?Daily MaverickSOCIAL NOURISHMENT: Child hunger drives Free State community to step in when school meals stopThe Jerusalem PostEx-spy Jonathan Pollard joins Sharren Haskel's Israel First party ahead of electionsInquirer EntertainmentJM Ibarra, Elijah Canlas, Emilio Daez team up in new film ‘One for the Road’RTP DesportoTaranto2026. Canoísta Bruno Brasileiro campeão no K1 1.000 metrosInquirerBukidnon’s Valencia City suspends classes as teen held over online threats한겨레배드민턴 이소희·백하나 짝, 31년 만에 세계선수권 우승UOLSem rival à altura, PSG inicia caminhada no campeonato francês perseguindo seu 15° títulotazBanken-Run in Russland: Geld lieber im EinmachglasStraits Times SportAntica Singapore International Challenge proves mainstream and inclusive sporting spaces
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

Multiple people dead after police car and Volkswagen crash during pursuit

Translate

Several people have died in a car crash following a police pursuit in the early hours of Saturday morning.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is investigating the circumstances leading up to a fatal crash involving a police car and a Volkswagen Passat on the A66 in South Bank, near Middlesbrough.

Officers from Cleveland Police spotted a suspicious vehicle and a pursuit began before the car travelled onto the A66 and collided with a police car at 3.39am, the watchdog said.

An investigation was opened just after 6am on Saturday following a mandatory referral from the force, the watchdog said.

The A66 is closed in both directions between Normanby Road and Church Lane in Eston.

Police officers manned both ends of the cordon and the crash site was not visible from the road closures.

It was understood a large white tent has been erected over the scene, with multiple emergency service vehicles on the scene.

The closed section of the A66 is bordered by large industrial units to the north, and is close to the major Teesworks site.

Police have put into effect a drone exclusion zone around the scene of the collision.

North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) said it had been called to a two-vehicle crash and sent 14 units to the scene including ambulance crews, a specialist paramedic, a hazardous area response team and a doctor from Great North Air Ambulance Service.

A spokesperson for NEAS said: “Sadly, despite the best efforts of everyone attending, a number of patients died at the scene.

“We send condolences to all of those affected by such a tragic event and thank everyone for all they did to help.”

A Cleveland Police spokesperson previously said: “We are working to identify the victims and contact their families.

A police cordon at the scene of a fatal crash involving a police car and a Volkswagen Passat on the A66 in South Bank (Tom Wilkinson/PA)

PA Wire

“This is a quickly-evolving incident and we ask that members of the public respectfully avoid speculation.”

IOPC director of investigations Nicola Marfleet said: “This is a tragic incident, and my thoughts are with family and friends and all those affected, including the emergency services in attendance.”

She added investigators have been sent to start reviewing evidence, and the watchdog is cooperating with Cleveland Police to establish the circumstances of the collision.

Anna Turley, MP for the Redcar constituency where the crash happened, said: “I am deeply saddened to hear of the fatal collision on the A66 this morning.

“My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of those who have lost their lives, and with everyone affected by this terrible incident.

“Thank you to all of our emergency services, who have worked through the night responding to this devastating incident.”

She added: “We would ask everyone to avoid speculating online to respect the families and the police while they do their work at this terrible time.”

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.