InquirerCotabato family beats heat with rooftop sprinklersESPN DeportesChivas respira tras gris triunfo en TorreónThe Jerusalem PostIsrael and Honduras deepen defense ties with new memorandum of understandingוואלהרעידת אדמה בעוצמה 5.87 הכתה באינדונזיהPunchNigeria targets local production of military hardware, anti-drone systemsESPNTexas native Miller agrees to deal with Cowboysالنهارمن قُصرة إلى الأغوار... الاستيطان يرسم ممراً جديداً في قلب الضفةScreen Rant8 Greatest Charlie Brown Quotes In Peanuts HistoryNTVSon dakika deprem mi oldu? Az önce deprem nerede oldu? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir ve il il AFAD son depremler 17 Ağustos 2026سكاي نيوز عربيةفوائد المشي الصباحي.. لماذا يستحق عادة يومية؟Daily MailMoment 'migrants' jump out of lorry at Northampton yard, pose for photos and brazenly walk away... as staff 'turn a blind eye'New Straits Times1,040 seized plant saplings found infested with pests, diseases
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

ABC removes third Four Corners episode led by Mahmood Fazal

Translate

The ABC has removed two more investigative programs associated with sacked reporter Mahmood Fazal, including a Four Corners episode about hitmen operating in Sydney, after completing its internal review into the journalist’s work for the national broadcaster.

Acting news director Lee Glendinning told ABC staff on Monday that the broadcaster had removed three more pieces of content, including an episode of flagship investigative radio show Background Briefing and part of a separate Four Corners episode Fazal had co-reported.

Former ABC investigative reporter Mahmood Fazal.Sydney Morning Herald

The removals are part of a deepening scandal at the ABC, which had trusted Fazal to front some of its most prominent programs, but removed him in May after he appeared on an unauthorised external podcast. That led ABC sources to raise concerns about the authenticity of sources on some of Fazal’s broadcasts, three of which have already been pulled.

Silent Orders, an investigation led by Fazal in 2024 into underworld assassins in Sydney, was one of three pieces of material removed on Monday after the ABC’s review found the use of anonymous interviewees did not meet its editorial standards.

“The review found that in each of these cases, ABC verification policies concerning the use of anonymous interviewees were not followed to a level that meets our editorial standards,” the ABC said in a statement. “Therefore, in order to ensure complete confidence in published content, we have taken the decision to remove them.”

Fazal has previously denied any wrongdoing in his reporting and said that his stories went through a rigorous editorial process.

Glendinning also told staff that current Foreign Correspondent executive producer Morag Ramsay was taking over as acting head of investigations and current affairs, following the recent exit of her predecessor Jo Puccini.

The ABC Ombudsman is conducting a separate investigation into the two previously removed Four Corners episodes, Cocaine Nation and Meth Highway, with the final report still yet to be published.

Calum JaspanCalum Jaspan is a media writer for The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, based in Melbourne. Reach him securely on Signal @calumjaspan.10Connect via X or email.

View the original on The Sydney Morning Herald

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.