וואלהזמביה: הנשיא היצ'ילמה זכה בכהונה שניהInquirer20 rescued after passenger boat capsizes off Romblon townDaily MaverickZambia’s Hichilema re-elected though cost-of-living pressures dent his supportESPN DeportesArmando 'Hormiga' González, la inesperada transferencia tras Mundial 2026PunchUN, NSCDC move against terror funding, Illegal miningThe Jerusalem PostJerusalem Reform synagogue vandalized, Pride flags torn down in latest attackESPNSources: Saints WR Tyson may miss next 2 monthsLe DevoirLe plus haut tribunal de l’Ontario autorise le gouvernement Ford à retirer des pistes cyclablesCBS NewsNewsom may veto bill giving California high-speed rail watchdog more power, sources sayWirtualna PolskaErdogan naciska na Trumpa. "Maksymalne działania dyplomatyczne"New Straits TimesFire and Rescue Dept monitoring 62 locations at risk of major firesالنهاركيف تبدو حركة الملاحة في مضيق هرمز مع تعثّر المحادثات بين واشنطن وطهران؟
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

UK Prime Minister Burnham messaged someone posing as White House chief of staff - report

Translate

The British embassy in Washington raised the incident with the White House out of concern that White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles' phone had been hacked for a second time.

Follow us on Google
Britain's Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks during an interview with BBC journalist Laura Kuenssberg at No 10 North at Heron House, in Manchester, Britain, July 24, 2026.
Britain's Prime Minister Andy Burnham speaks during an interview with BBC journalist Laura Kuenssberg at No 10 North at Heron House, in Manchester, Britain, July 24, 2026.
(photo credit: JEFF OVERS/BBC/HANDOUT VIA REUTERS)
ByESTHER DAVIS

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham communicated with somebody who was posing as a close adviser to US President Donald Trump, sources with knowledge of the situation told Politico on Monday.

Burnham communicated with someone pretending to be White House Chief of Staff Susie Wiles, exchanging a "few messages of no signficance" before realizing that the contact was illegitimates, Politico reported.

The sources said that the British embassy in Washington raised the incident with the White House out of concern that Wiles' phone had been hacked again. The White House told Politico that the incident "had nothing to do with the chief of staff’s devices being hacked.”

Last year an FBI investigation was launched after Wiles' personal phone was hacked, giving an impersonator access to private phone numbers of senators, governors, top US business executives and other figures.

Politico reported that Downing Street declined to comment on the incident. The contents and timing of the messages with the Wiles imposter remain unknown.

Britain's Defence Secretary Wes Streeting walks following the first cabinet meeting with British Prime Minister Andy Burnham at 10 Downing Street, in London, Britain, July 21, 2026.
Britain's Defence Secretary Wes Streeting walks following the first cabinet meeting with British Prime Minister Andy Burnham at 10 Downing Street, in London, Britain, July 21, 2026. (credit: Chris J. Ratcliffe/Reuters)

Phone numbers of UK cabinet ministers have been leaked since the incident

Since the incident the personal phone numbers of at least three UK cabinet ministers have been published online, The Guardian reported on Monday evening.

The names and numbers of UK Defense Secretary Wes Streeting, Justice Secretary Alex Norris, and Northern Ireland Secretary Chris Bryant were made available online, according to the report.

Streeting's phone number has been removed, a source told the Guardian, with Downing Street officials working to take down the others.

The source added that Streeting does all his government business on his official government phone. Downing Street declined to comment on whether measures had been put it place to prevent another breach.

View the original on The Jerusalem Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.