ESPNYour guide to getting the most fun out of college football seasonESPN DeportesMourinho fue presentado oficialmente como técnico de Real MadridThe Jerusalem PostUAE gives all-clear after air defenses detect incoming missile threat from Iranוואלהלראשונה מזה זמן רב: אזעקות הופעלו בדובאיRTP DesportoMourinho oficializa contrato e diz ser "mais emocional" o regresso a MadridFootball ItaliaComo push for Ricci as Milan hold firm on permanent saleThe South AfricanFuel price bombshell: Diesel could rise by almost R3 a litreRai NewsMorto Varenne, aveva 31 anni: è stato il più grande trottatore di tutti i tempiRMF24„POLAND. More than you expected”. Ruszyła kampania promująca PolskęThe VergePlayStation’s wireless gaming speakers launch in NovemberThe GuardianTupac Shakur murder trial: gang leader in court accused of orchestrating 1996 killing of rap starANSADonna uccisa a coltellate vicino Roma davanti a uno dei figli: fermato il marito
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Tuesday, August 18, 2026

FBI-linked ‘764’ Malmesbury teen case sparks grooming warning

Translate

Children can be groomed and manipulated into becoming perpetrators of online violence, Save the Children South Africa has warned as the case against a 16-year-old arrested in Malmesbury unfolds.

In an interview, Save the Children South Africa CEO Gugu Xaba said the case highlighted how criminals could exploit children online and, in some cases, use them to target other minors.

Children can become perpetrators too, warns Xaba

“Children are exploited, children can be manipulated, groomed, in order to be perpetrators of online violence,” Xaba said.

She said these cases were not necessarily rare, but authorities often struggled to identify and report them early.

“The only thing we have as a challenge is that it’s not identified on time and reported on time.”

Xaba welcomed the police investigation, saying the arrest showed authorities had the ability to uncover more cases.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT | Save the Children South Africa CEO Gugu Xaba is weighing in on the arrest of a 16-year-old in Malmesbury, Western Cape, in connection with alleged child sexual abuse material linked to the online network known as “764” pic.twitter.com/5gBI4Xbd5W

— SABC News (@SABCNews) August 18, 2026

Malmesbury teen faces serious charges

As previously reported, police arrested the teenager on Monday, 17 August, after an investigation involving intelligence from the FBI, the United States Embassy and the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).

He appeared in the Malmesbury Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday, 18 August.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) confirmed that he faces 11 charges, including seven counts of sexual assault involving compelled self-sexual assault.

He also faces charges relating to the sexual exploitation of children, displaying pornography to a child, distributing and possessing child pornography, cruelty to animals and a data message threatening people with damage to property or violence.

The court postponed the matter until Thursday, 20 August, for the outcome of an assessment by a district surgeon.

‘Best interests of the child must come first’

Despite the seriousness of the allegations, Xaba said authorities must remember that the accused is 16.

“This is a serious child protection case. And so everybody must see it that way,” she said.

“We must acknowledge that this is a minor. And so the best interests of the child must come first.”

Xaba said authorities should protect him from public exposure and ensure that people trained to work with children conduct any interviews.

She said investigators could establish what happened without compromising the safeguards that apply to minors.

Where a child has committed wrongdoing, she added, there should still be appropriate consequences.

Who is behind the alleged activity?

Xaba said investigators should look beyond the teenager and establish whether someone else recruited, groomed or manipulated him.

Police previously said intelligence pointed to a suspect in South Africa allegedly linked to violent international online networks commonly known as “764”.

SAPS describes the networks as being associated with child exploitation. Police allege that perpetrators target, blackmail and coerce minors into sexual abuse, violence against animals and other harmful acts.

Xaba said using children could give those behind such networks another layer of protection.

“Going through children, it makes it easier for them to continue manipulating the most vulnerable person, and the person that will not be suspected,” she said.

She said investigators needed to establish whether an adult played a role in the teenager’s alleged activities.

“It means we need more thorough investigation for us to cross through the child, to the adult, who is manipulating this particular child.”

Xaba said investigators ultimately needed to reach the source of the alleged abuse rather than treating the teenager’s arrest as the end of the investigation.

Investigation continues

Police seized electronic devices during the teenager’s arrest.

SAPS said a preliminary examination allegedly uncovered images and videos depicting child sexual abuse and animal mutilation.

Police have identified several child victims and are also investigating possible fraud and money laundering offences.

Investigators will conduct further forensic analysis of the seized devices as the case continues.

The teenager is due back in the Malmesbury Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, 20 August.

View the original on The South African

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.