ESPNRonaldinho, 46, arrives to restart career in ItalyESPN DeportesRoyals: aprueban 600 mdd para nuevo estadioInquirerState of calamity up in flood-hit BulacanDaily MaverickTunisia opposition protests against president amid economic discontentBollywood HungamaSpirit Controversy: Pranay Reddy Vanga claims Deepika Padukone made ‘unreasonable’ demands; says, “She demanded 10 percent from the film’s profit”וואלהנקבע מותו של גבר כבן 31 שנפצע באירוע אלימות בעראבה한겨레‘시대의 가객’ 안치환 15집…‘시즈 더 데이’ 내달 발매SözcüDönercilerden asker toplamaya başladılarScreen RantHogwarts Legacy New Map Expansion Includes 2 Iconic Harry Potter LocationsNTVSon dakika deprem mi oldu? Az önce deprem nerede oldu? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir ve il il AFAD son depremler 21 Ağustos 2026NHK 社会愛子さま 琵琶湖博物館でビワコオオナマズ鑑賞VanguardChristians killings: Why US won’t remove Nigeria’s CPC tag —Congressman Moore
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

Arsenal get new Julian Alvarez boost after fresh twist in transfer saga

Translate

Arsenal Football Newsletter

Barcelona had been pushing hard to sign Alvarez this summer and previously saw a bid worth €100million (£85m) for his services rejected by their LaLiga rivals.

The former Manchester City forward has been public about his desire to complete a dream switch to the Camp Nou, but Atletico have remained steadfast in their stance that he is not for sale this summer at any price.

According to ESPN, Barcelona have now decided to end their attempts to sign Alvarez for now and are assessing other options to improve their attack before the end of the window amid links to the likes of Sporting frontman Luis Suarez, Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez and Villarreal duo Ayoze Perez and Georges Mikautadze.

They have also been tentatively linked with a shock swoop for Arsenal’s Viktor Gyokeres.

Familiar face: Julian Alvarez played for Atletico Madrid against Arsenal in the Champions League semi-finals last season

Getty

Barcelona boss Hansi Flick needs further reinforcements in the final third to complement the signings of Anthony Gordon and Karim Adeyemi, after Ferran Torres joined Paris Saint-Germain and Robert Lewandowski left the club at the end of his contract, moving to Major League Soccer (MLS) with Chicago Fire.

Simeone had confirmed ahead of the game that the 26-year-old would not feature as he builds up his fitness in the aftermath of an extended break that followed Argentina’s run to a second successive World Cup final in North America earlier this summer.

Despite not playing in the 2-0 win over Malaga, Alvarez was still targeted by negative chants and whistles from a small section of the Atletico fanbase who are angry about his wish to leave and join Barcelona, while a fan banner criticising his conduct also circulated on social media.

Asked about those chants after the game, Simeone - who insisted earlier this week that Alvarez was his best player and that Atletico would look to build their team around him - said: “I respect our fans very much.”

On transfers generally, he added: “We're always open to the possibility of something happening. It's something I've always said, and it doesn't mean I'm talking about anyone in particular.

“I've always said it. The club is working to give us the best possible squad.”

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.