Daily MaverickECOSYSTEM THREAT: Gill nets galore in Kosi lakes, despite illegal fishing clampdownESPNA Cubs-White Sox World Series? Why this could be the best chance since 1906וואלהשני מחבלים שקידמו מתווי טרור נעצרו בכפר קבאטיהESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesThe Jerusalem PostHealth Min. reviews possible sperm donor genetic mismatch at Assuta Medical Center, Tel AvivVarietyDonald Trump Attacks CNN’s Kristen Holmes for Asking If He Spoke to North Korean Dictator: ‘You’re a Loud, Boisterous Person. Be Quiet!’Global NewsAlberta government misses treaty anniversary eventSBS 뉴스'친청계 3인' 전원 최고위원 입성…김용은 탈락BBC NewsJason Arday's family 'still coming to terms' with his death as vigil heldDeadlineNew Yorker’s Ariel Levy To Join ’60 Minutes’ As A ContributorSRF NewsQ&A Besser konzentrieren – «Was kann bei ADHS die Konzentration verbessern?»Digital SpyCelebrity Hunted viewers spot suspicious coincidence during narrow escape plan
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Irish police to be given ‘whatever resources they require’ after horror crash

Translate

Irish police will be given “whatever resources they require” to deal with dangerous driving, the country’s justice minister has announced, including pursuit training for the first time.

Jim O’Callaghan’s commitment came one day after five teenagers died after the car in which they were travelling the wrong way down a motorway was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle.

Four people in the other car, all members of the same family, were seriously injured in the crash on the M9 motorway in Co Kildare in the early hours of Sunday morning.

A body representing rank-and-file members of Ireland’s police service, An Garda Síochána, said an instruction had been given not to pursue the vehicle the wrong way down the motorway.

The scene on the M9 northbound at junction three in Co Kildare (Niall Carson/PA)

PA Wire

The Garda Representative Association (GRA) said its members were “all in shock” after the “horrific incident”.

GRA vice-president John Joe O’Connell said on Monday: “This involved a stolen BMW that drove, trying to evade gardaí, drove the wrong way down the M9 and then a head-on collision occurred with this car of a family heading to Dublin Airport on holidays for a few days.”

Mr O’Connell said the BMW had earlier failed to stop for gardaí and it was his understanding that an instruction was given not to engage with the vehicle as it travelled the wrong way down the M9.

He also said there was not a single member of An Garda Síochána trained specifically in pursuit.

Speaking to the media later on Monday, Mr O’Callaghan said: “Yesterday, we saw outrageously dangerous criminal behaviour by five teenagers that resulted in them losing their own lives and also inflicting serious injuries on a family that were lawfully using the M9.

The scene on the M9 northbound at junction three in Co Kildare (Niall Carson/PA)

PA Wire

“I want to condemn in the strongest possible terms that reckless criminal behaviour.

“I also want to emphasise that anyone who makes a decision to drive a vehicle deliberately the wrong way down a motorway is engaged in lethally dangerous behaviour, and it must stop.”

Mr O’Callaghan said he had spoken with Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly and told him that gardaí “will have whatever resources they require from Government in order to respond to this threat to public safety”.

He said his Cabinet colleague Transport Minister Darragh O’Brien was preparing legislation to strengthen protections for gardaí involved in pursuits.

Mr O’Callaghan added: “I have also spoken to the commissioner today about the legitimate points that were made by the GRA in respect of pursuit training.

“The commissioner again emphasised that he is going to introduce pursuit training into An Garda Síochána and he will be the first commissioner to do that.”

Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly and Justice Minister Jim O’Callaghan (Brian Lawless/PA)

PA Wire

The minister said this would happen this year.

Mr O’Callaghan said he also wanted to introduce a specific offence for deliberately driving the wrong way down a motorway, adding: “That is using a vehicle as a weapon, and it is a lethal form of behaviour that, as we saw over the weekend, results in deaths and serious injuries.”

Mr O’Callaghan further said that social media companies have a big responsibility in not allowing posts that “glorify criminal behaviour”.

He said: “Social media companies need to step up to the mark as well in respect of their own responsibilities.”

View the original on Evening Standard

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.