More SASSA grant suspensions loom over non-compliance

SASSA grant suspensions are here to stay, despite mounting criticism from embattled beneficiaries. Last week, new Social Development Minister Dina Pule defended grant reviews, explaining it’s a necessary part of delivering the best social welfare programme on the continent.
Addressing the media, Pule confirmed plans to review more than 350 000 grants this financial year. In so doing, the agency expects to save an estimated R1.5 billion in taxpayer funds. However, there is a rather large discrepancy in the numbers themselves …
SASSA GRANT SUSPENSIONS
Before Pule returned from the political wilderness to take over as SASSA minister, the agency had reportedly identified 420 000 grants for review. So, can we therefore assume there have been upwards of 70 000 successful SASSA grant suspensions in the meantime?
Nevertheless, according to the South African Social Security Agency, of the profiles reviewed, roughly 160 000 beneficiaries have failed to comply. That means they either didn’t receive the buly SMS notice of review, or they did and simply did not fight agency intervention …
APOLOGIES OVER QUEUE MANAGEMENT

Furthermore, minister Pule’s visit to various SASSA branches last week did reveal another issue plaguing the beneficiaries. “I have received complaints regarding our people standing in long queues in most of our offices. And I want dignity and respect restored to the process,” said Pule. Her fix is the recruitment of over 1 000 contract workers nationwide. They’ll help process applications, speed up reviews and sort any frontline queries.
Before anyone suffers SASSA grant suspensions, the agency cross-checks beneficiaries’ financial, medical and personal details. Improved data-sharing with banks and other government departments has sharpened this process. Biometric verification now links to Home Affairs records directly. E-Life Certification lets beneficiaries confirm eligibility digitally, without an office visit.
HOW TO SIDESTEP SASSA GRANT SUSPENSIONS
As The South African reports regularly, SASSA pays grants over three days. Older-Age Grants go first, then Disability, then Children’s. Beneficiaries flagged for review, who clear their names, now get a fourth day. In September this falls on Monday the 7th.
SASSA spokesperson Dr Paseka Letsatsi says confusion is common. Beneficiaries panic when their money doesn’t land on the usual day. SASSA sends bulk SMS notices ahead of each fourth-day payment run. But the warning is in plain sight. Beneficiaries who ignore the review process risk SASSA grant suspensions in the following payment cycle.
But what do you think? Have you suffered at the hands of SASSA grant suspensions? Or have you been for review and sorted out any discrepancies? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below …
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.