וואלהרעידת אדמה בעוצמה 5.87 הכתה באינדונזיהPunchNigeria targets local production of military hardware, anti-drone systemsESPNSeminoles star Whaley, 22, wins U.S. Amateur titleESPN DeportesTijuana vs. Cruz Azul: El reencuentro de Lira y Mora tras el MundialThe Jerusalem PostEisenkot's Yashar unveils plan to support new olim integrating into Israelالنهاررسالة من "حزب الله" إلى بريطانيا وأذربيجان: ممنوع إرسال جنودكم إلى لبنان!한겨레광복절 경축식 태극기에 “반국가세력 신종 암호”라는 국힘 대변인단InquirerClasses on despite sizzling heat in Cagayan de OroInquirer EntertainmentKendra Kramer defends parents from claims they ‘take advantage’ of kidsNew Straits TimesDuplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault titleScreen Rant5 Naruto Quotes That Hit Harder As Adults경향신문패션아이템 된 가발도 한국이 선도···특허경쟁력 ‘2위’
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Four killed in the Red Sea as Yemen’s Houthis claim Tuesday ship attack

Translate

Four crew members of a small cargo ship were killed when it was hit by the Houthis on Tuesday, Yemen's transport ministry said, adding the dead also included an Indonesian.

The fatalities aboard the Egyptian-owned Tihamah marked the first deaths in a Houthi strike on shipping since the Iran war began on February 28.

The Houthis said the ship was carrying Saudi military equipment. There was no immediate comment from Saudi authorities.

The Houthis declared on July 20 they would impose a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia in the Red Sea in response to what they described as a Saudi siege on Yemen, an allegation Riyadh has denied.

Since then, they have been launching attacks against Saudi Arabia and Yemen's Mocha and Marib, which are controlled by the Saudi-backed, internationally recognized government based on Aden.

(Reporting by Mohammed Ghobari, Writing by Nayera Abdallah, editing by Chris Reese and Alex Richardson)

View the original on Daily Maverick

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.