Daily MaverickECOSYSTEM THREAT: Gill nets galore in Kosi lakes, despite illegal fishing clampdownESPNA Cubs-White Sox World Series? Why this could be the best chance since 1906וואלהשני מחבלים שקידמו מתווי טרור נעצרו בכפר קבאטיהESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesThe Jerusalem PostHealth Min. reviews possible sperm donor genetic mismatch at Assuta Medical Center, Tel AvivVarietyDonald Trump Attacks CNN’s Kristen Holmes for Asking If He Spoke to North Korean Dictator: ‘You’re a Loud, Boisterous Person. Be Quiet!’Global NewsAlberta government misses treaty anniversary eventSBS 뉴스'친청계 3인' 전원 최고위원 입성…김용은 탈락BBC NewsJason Arday's family 'still coming to terms' with his death as vigil heldDeadlineNew Yorker’s Ariel Levy To Join ’60 Minutes’ As A ContributorSRF NewsQ&A Besser konzentrieren – «Was kann bei ADHS die Konzentration verbessern?»Digital SpyCelebrity Hunted viewers spot suspicious coincidence during narrow escape plan
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

FIFA executive who criticised Infantino's World Cup sale plan departs

Translate

FIFA president Gianni Infantino on the red carpet, smiling, thumbs up

FIFA president Gianni Infantino sparked outrage over his plan to sell a stake in the World Cup to external investors. (Reuters: Brian Snyder)

In short:

FIFA has confirmed senior executive Kevin Lamour has parted ways with soccer's governing body, weeks after his public criticism of president Gianni Infantino.

In a statement, a FIFA spokesperson said Lamour parted ways with the governing body on Monday.

Lamour, who was chief operating officer, said FIFA staff had been "deceived" over Infantino's plan to sell a stake in the World Cup to external investors.

FIFA's chief operating officer, Kevin Lamour, has left soccer's governing body, weeks after he publicly criticised president Gianni Infantino's plan to sell a stake in its tournament business, including the World Cup.

"FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA's chief operating officer has ended on 17 August 2026," a FIFA spokesperson said.

"FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter."

Lamour had publicly criticised the proposal last month, saying FIFA staff had been "deceived" over the plan and describing it as "the project of one person".

"Our mission … is to serve football. Not to serve the personal interests of a person who, unfortunately, believes he embodies FIFA when he is supposed to be at its service," Lamour said in a statement at the time.

Lamour's comments came hours after Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, resigned in protest at the proposal, calling it "a bad deal for football".

The internal dissent came as FIFA faced widespread opposition to its plan to create a $US20 billion ($28.1 billion) subsidiary to run its tournaments, including the World Cup, and sell up to a 20 per cent stake to external investors. FIFA subsequently abandoned the proposal following the backlash.

View the original on ABC News (Australia)

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.