ESPN DeportesRaiders de Fernando Mendoza vienen de atrás para vencer a los TexansInquirerMarcos declares special non-working days in 3 municipalitiesThe Jerusalem PostIsrael’s new Syria dilemma: Netanyahu’s Russia playbook faces 'Turkey test'ESPN'You have to be smart with that money': How WNBA players are enjoying new higher salariesRTP DesportoKochorashvili deixa Sporting e assina pelo Sevilha por quatro épocasBollywood HungamaThe Ba***ds of Bollywood season 2 in the works? Bilal Siddiqi reveals Netflix, Shah Rukh Khan-owned Red Chillies are in talksוואלההרפובליקה הדמוקרטית של קונגו: התפרצות האבולה גבתה את חייהם של למעלה מ-2,500 בני אדםХабр[Перевод] Интервью с Илоном Маском: ИИ, риски, роботы и мир через 10 летBusiness AMUnitree Robotics: hoe China Amerikaanse robotinnovatie naar de markt brengtالشرق"صدمة حرب إيران" تفاقم أزمة مصافي النفط في أوروباScreen Rant5 Best Calvin And Hobbes Strips That Don't Star CalvinNumeramaLe Midea PortaSplit retombe à 899 € : la clim la plus recherchée cet été servira aussi cet hiver
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

Prince Harry to learn how much failed Daily Mail lawsuit will cost

Translate

Prince Harry to learn how much failed Daily Mail lawsuit will cost

PRINCE HARRY. Britain's Prince Harry leaves High Court on the day of the first week of a nine-week trial lawsuit against Associated Newspapers, publisher of the Daily Mail, which Britain's Prince Harry and others are suing over allegations of privacy breaches dating back 30 years, in London, Britain, January 20, 2026.

Toby Melville/File Photo/REUTERS

The Mail's publisher is seeking an interim payment of £10 million while Harry and the six others have offered £8 million

AT A GLANCE

  • Prince Harry will learn the potential legal costs he may owe to the Daily Mail publisher after losing a privacy lawsuit alongside other claimants.
  • The High Court judge rejected the allegations of unlawful activities against the Mail, leading to a significant legal bill for the claimants, which they are now being asked to partially cover.
  • The ruling on the interim payment and indemnity costs will be made in writing, with no parties present, and comes as Harry and his family prepare to relocate to Britain.

This is AI-generated. Read the article for full context. Report any errors.

LONDON, United Kingdom – Days after it was revealed he will return to Britain, Prince Harry will learn on Friday, August 21, how many millions of pounds he might have to pay towards the legal costs of the Daily Mail publisher after losing a high-profile privacy lawsuit.

Last month, judge Matthew Nicklin at London’s High Court comprehensively rejected the case brought by King Charles‘ younger son alongside singer Elton John and five other British figures, rejecting allegations that the Mail titles had engaged in widespread unlawful activities, such as phone hacking.

Associated said it was an overwhelming victory for its newspaper and journalists, and “for a free press generally,” while the prince, 41, described the ruling as a “complete and obvious whitewash.”

On Friday, Nicklin will rule on how much the claimants should pay on an interim basis towards the Mail’s legal costs, and, more significantly, whether Harry and the others should be paying the outstanding amount on an “indemnity basis.”

If he decides to do this, it will mean that as the losing party the prince and the others must pay towards Associated’s costs without the publisher needing to show these were reasonable and proportionate.

Nicklin will make a written judgment, so neither Harry nor any of the other parties will be present.

Interim payment sought

The court was told at a hearing in July that Associated had incurred a legal bill of £34.5 million ($45.8 million), while Harry and other claimants only had an insurance policy which covered £16 million.

The Mail’s publisher is seeking an interim payment of £10 million while Harry and the six others have offered £8 million.

The court ruling comes after the shock news that Harry, his wife Meghan and their two children would be relocating to Britain this month from their home in California.

The couple, who stepped down from official duties in 2020 when they moved to the US, will not resume any royal roles nor receive any public money.

Costs hearing

At last month’s hearing about costs, Associated’s lawyer Antony White argued the claimants had made wide-ranging and serious “egregious” allegations without supporting evidence which had added to their costs.

He also said Harry’s statement following the ruling was an abuse of his position and celebrity status.

Nicholas Bacon, the lawyer for the claimants, said in their submissions that Associated’s £34.5 million legal bill was “eye-watering,” far exceeding an agreed budget.

He said it had been reported that Associated wanted to teach the claimants a lesson, and that it would be unjust to award indemnity costs.

In rejecting Harry and the others’ lawsuits following an 11-week trial, Nicklin had said the claimants had needed to prove that information published about them had been obtained unlawfully, but they had failed to do so, and that suspicion alone was not enough.

No decision has yet been made on whether the claimants will appeal.

View the original on Rappler

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.