US Navy destroyer with 300 sailors stranded in the Pacific for four days
A US Navy destroyer carrying about 300 sailors was left without power for four days after a major breakdown in the Pacific Ocean last month.
Navy spokesman commander Matthew Comer said in a statement that the USS Benfold "reported an engineering casualty involving its generators, causing a loss of power" on July 24.
The crew aboard the Benfold went without drinking water, meals, functioning toilets and air conditioning, he said.
The incident, which was first reported by the maritime and naval news forum, USNI News, comes as the Pentagon grapples with serious questions about the quality of life aboard naval vessels and the military's ability to supply ships during the conflict with Iran.
Democratic politicians are calling for investigations into conditions aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln.
Reports last week revealed that the ship, which has spent a record-setting 250 uninterrupted days at sea, has experienced shortages of supplies, including food and hygiene products, while crew members have suffered from stress and poor mental health.
Democratic lawmakers are calling for investigations into conditions aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln. (Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class via AP, File) (US Navy: Brian M Wilbur)
Mr Comer said there were no injuries to the crew of the Benfold, "who demonstrated resilience, grit, professionalism, and unwavering steadiness in their response," but the ship needed assistance from the George Washington carrier strike group.
The cruiser USS Robert Smalls provided meals to the stricken destroyer.
Ultimately, Mr Comer said the Benfold had to be towed to Subic Bay, in the Philippines, for repairs, arriving on July 28, where the crew was provided food and lodging off the ship.
More than a week later the Benfold left port "with all engineering, combat systems, and crew support systems functioning normally," the statement said.
Meanwhile, the ships from the George Washington strike group, including the aircraft carrier USS George Washington, were spotted heading toward the Middle East.
The carrier was expected to replace the Lincoln, which the acting navy secretary, Hung Cao, said last week would be returning home soon.
The USS Abraham Lincoln at its home port of Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego, California, in 2023. (Reuters: Mike Blake)
This would leave the waters of the Pacific without a US carrier presence for an unknown period of time.
The Trump administration sees China, the dominant power in the region, as "a settled force" that only needs to be deterred from dominating the US or its allies and not the top global adversary that it was under the Biden administration.
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.