PunchWhy Madrid did not sign Rodri — MourinhoDaily MaverickFOOD BABBLE: BOERIES!: Who makes the best boerewors? Tell us all about itוואלההחזיק שני אקדחים מתחת למושב: כתב אישום נגד תושב נצרתCNN TürkPaulo Fonseca: Çok büyük bir ekibe karşı oynadıkESPN DeportesFernando Tapia y los 12 años de espera para jugar con América3DNewsАвтор утечек GTA VI не остановится, пока Rockstar и Take-Two не извинятся и не пообещают исправитьсяInquirer EntertainmentNoli de Castro not officially retired, still on medical leave — ABS-CBN execThe South AfricanFormer Muvhango actor Gabriel Temudzani joins ActionSA ahead of local electionsSky TG24Outer Banks, arriva la quinta e ultima stagione: dov'eravamo rimasti e cosa sappiamoBlickViele noch verschüttet: Erdrutsch in kamerunischem Goldbergwerk fordert über 100 ToteХабрNVMe выдаёт 600 000 записей в секунду, а база коммитит 180Observador DesportoQuer um T4 no Chiado? Basta ter cem milhões de garrafas
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Universities join relief efforts for Flores quake victims

Translate

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Minister of Higher Education, Science, and Technology Brian Yuliarto reported that several universities are taking part in relief operations to help people affected by Saturday’s magnitude 7.7 earthquake on Flores Island, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT).

He highlighted the establishment of command posts by NTT-based schools, such as Nusa Dipa University, Muhammadiyah University of Maumere, Nusa Cendana University, and Flores Bajawa College of Agriculture.

“Students volunteering from unaffected regions have also contributed to the distribution of assistance to communities,” Yuliarto said in a statement received in Jakarta on Tuesday.

He noted that the University of Mataram had deployed disaster response teams in coordination with the West Nusa Tenggara provincial government, mobilizing medical personnel, clinical psychologists, and supporting personnel to deliver medicines and essential supplies.

A medical team from Muhammadiyah University of Kupang has arrived in Nagekeo District, where the quake was centered, to provide medical services to affected residents, he added.

Meanwhile, the Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB) is working with a philanthropic organization to deliver assistance in coordination with the Regional Agency of Disaster Countermeasures of West Manggarai District. An ITB team has arrived in Labuan Bajo to reach Ruteng in Manggarai District.

Yuliarto emphasized that his ministry has been working to assist students involved in academic activities in quake-hit regions.

“Our priority presently is to ensure the safety of the entire academic community while supporting swift and coordinated disaster response operations,” the minister said.

He confirmed that 61 Yogyakarta Muhammadiyah University students who were taking a community service program in West Manggarai and East Manggarai districts had been successfully evacuated and are now taking shelter alongside local residents.

The Indonesian government has demonstrated its commitment to mounting an immediate and effective response to the earthquake, which has claimed nearly 70 lives in several districts on Flores.

Coordinating Minister for Human Development and Culture Pratikno has promptly traveled to NTT alongside other senior officials to oversee relief operations directly.

“We have been in NTT since day one to observe the situation and discuss ways to accelerate recovery efforts,” he said on Monday (Aug. 17).

Related news: Defense Minister sends 20 tons of aid to earthquake victims in NTT

Translator: Tegar Nurfitra Putra Rofian
Editor: Bayu Prasetyo
Copyright © ANTARA 2026

View the original on Antara News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.