Daily MaverickKilling of Guinea-Bissau rapper sends opposition undergroundInquirerBataan declares state of calamity due to widespread floodsESPNTransfer rumors, news: Arsenal want Yildiz as Al Hilal add Martinelli to shortlistThe Jerusalem PostIranian oil supplies to China tighten as US blockade cuts Tehran's crude exportsBollywood HungamaAnimal Park Update: Pranay Reddy Vanga reveals Sandeep Reddy Vanga will take 6-month break after Spirit before starting Ranbir Kapoor starrerוואלההכאוס בנתב"ג: השביתה הסתיימה - אך העיכובים טרם צומצמוRTP DesportoJogos do Mediterrâneo. Canoístas portugueses vencem séries e avançam diretamente para finaisMalay MailForeign minister says Asean best platform as Malaysia pushes regional action on haze crisisScreen RantWhy The Silos Were Built In Apple TV’s SiloCollider'The Rookie's New Spin-Off Officially Expands With 'The Night Agent' StarSCMP ChinaThe Mistral paradox: Europe’s push for tech sovereignty relies on China’s Z.aiSportstar‘Initial shock was long time ago’: Kompany reveals Bayern knew about Musiala’s neurological condition
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Friday, August 21, 2026

‘Monnapule Saleng blocked me’: Ex-Pirates star raises concern

Translate

Former Orlando Pirates winger Lebohang Mokoena has expressed his disappointment over the situation involving Mamelodi Sundowns star Monnapule Saleng.

The 28-year-old winger has yet to feature for Masandawana this season after being separated from the first team.

Last week, Sundowns head coach Miguel Cardoso revealed that Saleng had repeatedly broken the rules and values of the club and its dressing room.

Cardoso also claimed that the winger failed to report for the team’s second CAF Champions League match and did not attend a team camp. As a result, Saleng has been separated from the squad.

Monnapule Saleng isolated once again

Speaking on SoccerBeat, Mokoena admitted that it has been painful to watch Saleng’s situation unfold, insisting that the talented winger is a good person.

“It’s painful because Saleng is a good boy. It’s a stage; we also had players who were problematic just like Saleng. We are trying to protect him, but it came to a stage where we can no longer control him. Even coach Cardoso can’t manage him in the changeroom,” Mokoena said.

The former Pirates fan favourite also believes Saleng’s absence has cost him an opportunity to represent Bafana Bafana at the World Cup.

“It has also affected me because this kid has missed out on the World Cup. Things were lined up for him nicely. He is a very quiet, skinny boy who doesn’t talk much,” he added.

Mokoena revealed that he developed a close relationship with Monnapule Saleng during the winger’s loan spell at Swallows in 2022.

However, he admitted that his recent attempts to contact the Sundowns star have been unsuccessful.

“I tried to call him, he blocked me and I can’t reach him. What I can say is bring your head back to the game and ask yourself what made you fall in love with football,” Mokoena said.

Saleng’s future at Sundowns remains uncertain as the club continues to deal with the disciplinary situation surrounding the talented winger. Before joining The Brazilians, Monnapule Saleng had not played for Pirates in over a year and was eventually loaned out.

View the original on The South African

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.