ESPN DeportesGalaxy y Earthquakes provocan bostezos en el debut de Chucky Lozano en LAInquirerMaguindanao clans settle decades-old feudDaily MaverickPrince Harry and Meghan to move back to Britain, media reports sayESPN5-team deal sends Watson to Cavs, Strus to ClipsPunchIsese Day: Lagos, Ogun, Oyo declare Thursday work-freeוואלהפולין: חיל האוויר העלה כוננות עקב התקיפות הרוסיות בקייבBollywood HungamaSonu Nigam reacts to impersonator case settlement; says, “Saste mein chhoot gaya bahut”SözcüOkullarda 20 yeni yasak: 81 ile genelge gönderdiCNN TürkHava Durumu (20-08-2026)The Sydney Morning HeraldAlan Jones trial live updates: ‘Complainant C’ cross-examination continues after text messages showing rift between former 2GB radio figures revealedNOS SportConference League kan zegen zijn voor Ajax, dat selectie nog niet op orde heeftHong Kong Free PressCK Hutchison seeks over US$1.5 billion from Panama over port takeover
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Thursday, August 20, 2026

Indonesian Navy thwarts bid to smuggle 75.7 tonnes of tin sand worth RM17.27m to Malaysia

Translate
The Indonesian Navy has thwarted a suspected attempt to smuggle about 75.7 tonnes of illegally mined tin sand to Malaysia from the Bangka Belitung Islands off the east coast of Sumatra, with the haul estimated at Rp76.04 billion (RM17.27 million). — AFP pic

The Indonesian Navy has thwarted a suspected attempt to smuggle about 75.7 tonnes of illegally mined tin sand to Malaysia from the Bangka Belitung Islands off the east coast of Sumatra, with the haul estimated at Rp76.04 billion (RM17.27 million). — AFP pic

First Published: Wednesday, 19 Aug 2026 8:03 PM MYT

JAKARTA, Aug 19 — The Indonesian Navy has thwarted a suspected attempt to smuggle about 75.7 tonnes of illegally mined tin sand to Malaysia from the Bangka Belitung Islands off the east coast of Sumatra, with the haul estimated at Rp76.04 billion (RM17.27 million).

Indonesian Fleet Command chief Vice Admiral Denih Hendrata said the case came to light after naval personnel intercepted a truck carrying about eight tonnes of tin sand at a jetty in East Belitung on Aug 2, triggering a string of follow-up raids.

The raids uncovered about 50 tonnes in Lenggang village on Aug 3, another 10 tonnes packed in 200 sacks the following day and another five tonnes on Aug 8, he said.

“We did not stop there. The operation was expanded to uncover the network and other parties involved,” he said during a live-streamed press conference in Tanjungpandan, Belitung, on Wednesday.

No suspects had been named yet, while Denih said investigations had since expanded to five locations.

Laboratory tests were also being conducted to determine the mineral content, he said.

Asked whether the investigation would extend to Malaysia, Denih said interstate cooperation would be needed to trace the smuggling network and identify recipients in destination countries. — Bernama

View the original on Malay Mail

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.