Daily MaverickECOSYSTEM THREAT: Gill nets galore in Kosi lakes, despite illegal fishing clampdownESPNA Cubs-White Sox World Series? Why this could be the best chance since 1906וואלהשני מחבלים שקידמו מתווי טרור נעצרו בכפר קבאטיהESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesThe Jerusalem PostHealth Min. reviews possible sperm donor genetic mismatch at Assuta Medical Center, Tel AvivVarietyDonald Trump Attacks CNN’s Kristen Holmes for Asking If He Spoke to North Korean Dictator: ‘You’re a Loud, Boisterous Person. Be Quiet!’Global NewsAlberta government misses treaty anniversary eventSBS 뉴스'친청계 3인' 전원 최고위원 입성…김용은 탈락BBC NewsJason Arday's family 'still coming to terms' with his death as vigil heldDeadlineNew Yorker’s Ariel Levy To Join ’60 Minutes’ As A ContributorSRF NewsQ&A Besser konzentrieren – «Was kann bei ADHS die Konzentration verbessern?»Digital SpyCelebrity Hunted viewers spot suspicious coincidence during narrow escape plan
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Top Fifa official sacked after Infantino plan criticism

Translate

Fifa's chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has left the governing body less than three weeks after he strongly criticised its president Gianni Infantino's aborted plan to sell stakes in competitions to private investors.

In a statement, a spokesperson said: "Fifa can confirm that the working relationship between Fifa and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026.

"Fifa thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future."

It declined to comment on reports that Lamour had been dismissed.

BBC Sport has been told that Fifa's staff were informed of Lamour's departure in an email by its secretary general Mattias Grafstrom on Monday evening.

Last month, Lamour described the controversial Fifa Forward Enterprise (FFE) plans as "the project of one person", and said "the time has now come for football political leaders to ask themselves the right questions and make the right decisions".

He added Fifa's own administration was "deceived" about the now abandoned project.

"Our mission - the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary Fifa employees - is to serve football", he added.

"A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite."

Lamour acknowledged he had a duty of loyalty to his employer but also to "certain values" and supporting his colleagues.

"If that means I lose my job, then so be it," he added. "I will understand and respect that decision. At least I'll sleep well tonight."

Lamour joined Fifa in November 2024, having previously served as deputy general secretary at Uefa, and was two layers of management below Infantino.

Earlier this month, Infantino received the backing of senior executives in a meeting in Morocco, but BBC Sport was told Lamour was not invited.

Lamour has been approached for comment.

In a letter sent to members of Fifa's Council, and seen by BBC Sport, Grafstrom wrote: "I would like to provide you with an important update regarding a change within the Fifa Administration.

"Following recent discussions, Fifa and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally… I felt it was important that I personally provide you this update and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of Fifa on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future."

View the original on BBC News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.