וואלהרעידת אדמה בעוצמה 5.87 הכתה באינדונזיהPunchNigeria targets local production of military hardware, anti-drone systemsESPNSeminoles star Whaley, 22, wins U.S. Amateur titleESPN DeportesTijuana vs. Cruz Azul: El reencuentro de Lira y Mora tras el MundialThe Jerusalem PostEisenkot's Yashar unveils plan to support new olim integrating into Israelالنهاررسالة من "حزب الله" إلى بريطانيا وأذربيجان: ممنوع إرسال جنودكم إلى لبنان!한겨레광복절 경축식 태극기에 “반국가세력 신종 암호”라는 국힘 대변인단InquirerClasses on despite sizzling heat in Cagayan de OroInquirer EntertainmentKendra Kramer defends parents from claims they ‘take advantage’ of kidsNew Straits TimesDuplantis masterclass for fourth Euro pole vault titleScreen Rant5 Naruto Quotes That Hit Harder As Adults경향신문패션아이템 된 가발도 한국이 선도···특허경쟁력 ‘2위’
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

Strict bail conditions for Setka after being charged for a third time

Translate

Former construction union boss John Setka has been arrested and charged for a third time over sending allegedly threatening and harassing messages to CFMEU administrators.

The 61-year-old was arrested on Friday morning and is due to face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court later today.

“He has since been charged with using a telecom communications device to menace, using a telecom communications device to offend and two charges of commit indictable offence whilst on bail,” a Victoria Police spokesperson said.

The charges relate to comments allegedly made by Setka on Monday.

“Police will allege additional threats were made, and an IVO was served on the man on Sunday 19 July,” the spokesperson said.

Police established Operation Hawk in mid-2024, in response to this masthead’s Building Bad series, which exposed criminal behaviour and corruption in the CFMEU.

John Setka is facing further charges.Victoria Police

The former union boss was first arrested in November and charged with seven counts of using a carriage service to menace, harass and offend the union’s government-appointed administrator, Mark Irving, KC.

He was charged a second time, in February, over allegations he issued a threat on Christmas Day to an official from the Albanese government-backed administration that took control of the CFMEU in 2024.

When asked about the allegations at the time, Setka said he did not threaten anyone, telling this masthead: “People should just toughen up and drink a bit of concrete and harden up a bit … It is the building industry.”

He said CFMEU staff were behaving like “rose petals”, and claimed the prosecution against him was politically driven.

The court previously heard the message which Sekta allegedly sent on Christmas Day told an official: “Hope you both have a shit xmas, you no good sell out c---s, go and have a sook to the hawk task force you weak woke f---ers.”

Start the day with a summary of the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up for our Morning Edition newsletter.

View the original on The Sydney Morning Herald

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.