וואלה"לז*** את היהודים": אימה בתפילת ליל שבת בניו-יורקThe Jerusalem PostAuthorities rescue Israeli shoppers, seize illegal monkey from residence in Jericho, West BankPunchNAQS releases recruitment shortlist, fixes CBT for August 20ESPNTransfer rumors, news: Al Hilal eye shock move for KaneDaily MaverickFOOD BABBLE: BOERIES!: Who makes the best boerewors? Tell us all about itCNN TürkPaulo Fonseca: Çok büyük bir ekibe karşı oynadıkUOLSão Paulo terá dias quentes com alerta para tempo seco; Sul do país terá pancadas de chuvaInquirerCHR urges probe, stricter gun control after Zambo school shootingSky TG24Federico García Lorca, 90 anni dalla morte: vita e opere del poeta spagnolo20 MinutenIm Juli gedreht: Peta veröffentlicht Werbespot mit HaydenHet Laatste NieuwsWaarom topsprinters de Renewi Tour verkiezen boven de Vuelta? “Het draait om kansen”The Sydney Morning Herald‘Deeply sorry to everyone involved’: Suspended Swans speak out for first time
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Sandiganbayan junks graft vs DTI exec due to lack of jurisdiction

Translate
Sandiganbayan junks graft vs DTI exec due to lack of jurisdiction
INQUIRER FILES

MANILA, Philippines — The Sandiganbayan has junked a graft case filed against Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Assistant Secretary Domingo Razon Tolentino Jr. for lack of jurisdiction.

In a 17-page resolution penned by Associate Justice Gener Gito, the anti-graft court Fifth Division granted the motion to quash filed by Tolentino.

“The court rules to GRANT the motion to quash on the ground that this court has no jurisdiction,” the resolution, promulgated on Aug. 14, stated.

Article continues after this advertisement

Tolentino’s case stemmed from allegedly falsifying a Certificate of Authority to Import (CAI) dated March 15, 2018, issued to Quality Precast & Concrete, Inc. (QCPI), according to the case information filed by the Office of the Ombudsman.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

READ: Sandiganbayan OKs withdrawal of Ombudsman case vs DTI exec

The information also said the issuance of CAI came even as QCPI’s application was filed with and received by Tolentino’s office only on June 4, 2018, “thereby giving a false appearance of regularity and effectively validating the issuance of said CAI, to the damage and prejudice of the government.”

“By backdating the CAI to simulate proper processing, the accused gave the transaction a false appearance of legitimacy, to the damage and prejudice of the government,” the resolution stated. 

Tolentino argued that “since the Information does not allege the amount of damage caused to the government, it lacks a material allegation that would vest jurisdiction in this court.”

Article continues after this advertisement

“The court agrees with accused Tolentino,” the ruling said.

Section 4 of Presidential Decree 1606, as amended by Republic Act No. 10660, states that the Regional Trial Court shall have exclusive original jurisdiction if the case information “does not allege any damage to the government or any bribery.”

Article continues after this advertisement

Last month, the Sandiganbayan Sixth Division also granted the Office of the Ombudsman’s motion to withdraw on Tolentino’s falsification of public documents case, as prosecutors admitted that “records are bereft of evidence demonstrating that respondent’s actions resulted in actual damage or injury to the government.” /das

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.