‘Parents responsible for protecting kids online, not just government’


MANILA, Philippines—While there is a need to address the dangers faced by the youth in the online space, the government should not take over the responsibilities of the parents when it comes to protecting their children, a consumer advocacy group said on Saturday.
In a statement, CitizenWatch Philippines said government action is needed to address concerns over excessive screen time, harmful content and other risks being faced by children online.
It warned, however, against measures that “shift too much accountability away from families.”
Article continues after this advertisement
“Government has a clear duty to protect children, but there is a difference between helping parents do their job and having the state do the parenting for them,” said CitizenWatch co-convenor Tim Abejo.
FEATURED STORIES
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
NEWSINFO
READ: Marcos flags social media content harmful to children
The group made the call as it noted that Education Secretary Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara, during a Senate hearing in July, underscored the risks of giving children access to online devices as these gadgets provide them with access to social media and online games.
Lawmakers, including Senators Erwin Tulfo, Panfilo Lacson and Sherwin Gatchalian, previously filed bills seeking to restrict the social media use of minors.
Tulfo noted that prolonged screen use “correlates with lower language development, psychosocial disruption and decreased attention span,” while Lacson cited studies linking excessive social media exposure to mental health issues.
Article continues after this advertisement
Aside from restricting the use of social media, Gatchalian is also seeking to ban the use of electronic devices during class hours in all public and private schools through Senate Bill No. 627 or the Electronic Gadget-Free Schools Act.
READ: DepEd to tap telcos, social media on tighter safeguards for minors
Article continues after this advertisement
Abejo acknowledged that parents “already carry pressures from work and running a household,” which is why the government should support them by providing “information, digital literacy and practical tools for supervision.”
At the same time, he stressed that “support should strengthen parents’ ability to make decisions for their children, not substitute for it.”
“Parents must remain primarily responsible for guiding their children, but they cannot be the only line of defense,” Abejo noted.
“Schools, government, digital platforms, and technology companies all have roles to play. The answer is shared responsibility, not transferring the responsibility of parents to the State,” he added.
The group also stressed that policies “should go beyond simply limiting access to devices,” but must also teach the youth on how to safely and responsibly navigate online spaces.
READ: PNP suggests banning ‘violent’ movies, TV shows to curb youth crimes
“The question should not be how we exclude children from the digital world. They are already part of it,” said Abejo.
“The challenge is to make their participation safer, healthier, and appropriate to their age and development, while teaching them how to become responsible digital citizens,” he added.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.
He also urged lawmakers to ensure that the legislation they will eventually adopt can keep pace with emerging technologies, saying that a “good regulation should protect [the children] today while giving them the skills and judgment they will need in an increasingly digital future.” /gsg
KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.