Daily MaverickECOSYSTEM THREAT: Gill nets galore in Kosi lakes, despite illegal fishing clampdownESPNA Cubs-White Sox World Series? Why this could be the best chance since 1906וואלהשני מחבלים שקידמו מתווי טרור נעצרו בכפר קבאטיהESPN Deportes¿Quién es Joshua Báez? El dominicano del histórico debut de 3 jonronesThe Jerusalem PostHealth Min. reviews possible sperm donor genetic mismatch at Assuta Medical Center, Tel AvivVarietyDonald Trump Attacks CNN’s Kristen Holmes for Asking If He Spoke to North Korean Dictator: ‘You’re a Loud, Boisterous Person. Be Quiet!’Global NewsAlberta government misses treaty anniversary eventSBS 뉴스'친청계 3인' 전원 최고위원 입성…김용은 탈락BBC NewsJason Arday's family 'still coming to terms' with his death as vigil heldDeadlineNew Yorker’s Ariel Levy To Join ’60 Minutes’ As A ContributorSRF NewsQ&A Besser konzentrieren – «Was kann bei ADHS die Konzentration verbessern?»Digital SpyCelebrity Hunted viewers spot suspicious coincidence during narrow escape plan
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Monday, August 17, 2026

CCLA launching Charter challenge against new Ontario bail regulations

Translate

Posted August 17, 2026 2:13 pm

1 min read

The 17-storey Ontario Court of Justice courthouse is seen in downtown Toronto on Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS IMAGES/Colin N. Perkel

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association is launching a Charter challenge against the Ford government’s new bail regulations.

The new regulations require sureties to pay security deposits up front within two business days.

The government also gave itself new powers to collect those payments in different ways, including property liens and the seizure and sale of property.

Previously, most bail cases proceeded with a “promise to pay” from sureties, rather than an immediate payment. The new measures took effect Monday.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

In a statement, the CCLA said it will launch this Charter challenge next week, saying “a cash bail system creates two tiers of justice: one for the rich, and the other for the rest of us.”

The organization says the new bail regulations violate the Constitution, saying “criminal procedure is a federal power under the Constitution. The federal Criminal Code sets out that a justice has discretion on whether to order a security deposit. The province cannot rewrite federal law. Neither can the province violate the Charter right not to be denied reasonable bail.”

Story continues below advertisement

The CCLA also voiced concern about issues such as overcrowding in Ontario jails due to fewer sureties meeting the province’s more stringent payment timeline to bail out accused persons.

This becomes the latest law created by the Ford government to be challenged against the Charter. Other notable challenges include one launched by EcoJustice against the government’s plans for special economic zones, and a successful challenge to the removal of bike lanes in downtown Toronto that was overturned by the Ontario Court of Appeal last week.

View the original on Global News

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.