CNN TürkHava Durumu (23-08-2026)The Jerusalem PostChinese robots break Usain Bolt's 100-meter record at Beijing World Humanoid Robot GamesPunchI survived, Mirabel returns to social media after Ogun rehabוואלהדיווח: איראן השביתה תחנת כוח בריטית למשך 4 ימים באמצעות מתקפת סייברInquirerHabagat to persist over Luzon on Sunday (August 23)Daily MaverickRESILIENT RECOVERY: Kruger National Park prepares to ‘build back better’ after R1bn flood damageESPN DeportesAtlas mete a Cruz Azul y Joel Huiqui en su primera crisisSözcüAilesini yangından kurtardı, televizyon üzerine patladı!UOLRetorno de Harry e Meghan ao Reino Unido reacende tensão na monarquia매일경제홍준표 “한동훈은 ‘조선제일껌’”…‘노웅래 녹음파일’ 공개 주장엔 “무식해”BBC MundoCanadá igualará los aranceles estadounidenses "dólar por dólar" tras la ruptura de las negociaciones comerciales con el gobierno de TrumpBlickSchon mit 14 Jahren war sie erfolgreich – und stürtzte danach ab: Das wurde aus «Ein Colt für alle Fälle»-Star Heather Thomas
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

Occidental Mindoro town seeks DPWH help as floods brought P1.4B damage

Translate
The damaged flood-control project that contributed to flooding in Barangay Tagumpay, Sablayan, Occidental Mindoro is seen in this Aug. 8, 2026 photo. (Photo from Sablayan MDRRMO)

CALAPAN CITY, Oriental Mindoro — The municipal government of Sablayan in Occidental Mindoro has sought assistance from the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) for the construction and rehabilitation of flood control projects and riverbanks.

This comes following damage estimated at P1.43 billion from successive weather disturbances.

Municipal Administrator Norman Novio on Sunday (August 23) said that the local government had asked the DPWH District Engineering Office to repair damaged sections of flood control and riverbank protection facilities in the municipality.

Article continues after this advertisement

“The continuous heavy rainfall and increased river discharge have resulted in strong water currents, scouring and erosion along the riverbank,” Novio told the Inquirer.

FEATURED STORIES

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

NEWSINFO

He said the existing riverbank protection system had significantly deteriorated and can no longer withstand rising water levels and strong river flows.

The request came as Sablayan continues to recover from widespread damage caused by Tropical Cyclones Luis and Maymay and the southwest monsoon (habagat).

The municipality was placed under a state of calamity after the municipal council approved the declaration during its 51st regular session on Aug. 14.

The action was recommended by the Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council.

Article continues after this advertisement

According to the Sablayan Municipal Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office, all 22 barangays were affected.

Three barangays had earlier declared their own states of calamity.

Article continues after this advertisement

The municipality’s final damage assessment put total losses at over P1.4 billion.

Infrastructure sustained the largest share of the damage at about P1.38 billion, affecting flood-control structures, roads, bridges and seawalls. /apl

View the original on Inquirer

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.