CNN TürkÖZET | Arda Güler'li Real Madrid, sezona 3 puanla başladı!וואלהרכב התהפך בכביש 234 סמוך לטל אור - אישה נפצעה בינוניPunch[VIDEO] Calabar mall fire: Trader narrates how blown bulb, power fluctuation preceded infernoThe Jerusalem PostIsrael’s battle for global consciousness: Why the Sparta doctrine harms national security - opinionInquirerNorthern Mindanao top cop Abrahano is new NCRPO OIC한겨레양육비 선지급제 1년, 예산 절반도 못 써…복잡한 신청요건 증명 등 완화해야Daily MaverickTHE LOWLY NEWSPAPERMAN: Infantino’s rotten Fifa reign calls Motsepe’s morality into questionRai NewsZelensky risponde a Fedorov: “Elezioni adesso sarebbero uno tsunami che spaccherebbe il Paese”NTVSon dakika deprem mi oldu? Az önce deprem nerede oldu? İstanbul, Ankara, İzmir ve il il AFAD son depremler 23 Ağustos 2026BellaNaijaCoco Gauff Storms Into Cincinnati Open Final for All-American Showdown With Jessica PegulaLenta.ruТокаев сделал заявление о своем переизбранииMalay MailPM approves additional RM1m for Hindu crematorium project in Bagan, says PHEB
The Daily Newsstand · Free, Always
Sunday, August 23, 2026

The government says this golf push cart is a Chinese EV. The tariffs are crippling a Canadian company

Translate
Cart
The owner of a small Canadian business that imports electric golf carts from China says his company is now in jeopardy because the federal government has billed him for more than $178,000 after placing his three-wheeled buggies in the same import category as electric vehicles (EVs). Photo by Supplied

OTTAWA — The owner of a small Canadian business that imports electric golf carts from China says his company is now in jeopardy because the federal government has billed him for more than $178,000 after placing his three-wheeled buggies in the same import category as electric vehicles (EVs). 

Sign In or Create an Account

or

Joseph McLuckie, who founded JPSMGolf in 2006 in his Toronto basement, said Friday that he has exhausted his appeals with Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) after the federal department confirmed its ruling that his company’s golf carts are considered sport vehicles because they “are conveyances used by the golfer to get their bag and associated accessories across the golf course during play.”  

The re-classification was made during a 17-month window when Canada was applying a surtax of 100 per cent on Chinese-made EVs, part of a trade war with China that was calmed earlier this year. The company, which has six employees, had previously and has since been paying 6.1 per cent surtax on its Chinese-made imports. 

Instead, he was informed that his shipment of “Formula” trolleys from about a year earlier was now subject to a surtax of $169,882.35, plus GST of $8,494.12.  The bill has since grown by more than $4,500 because of interest charges as he tries to fight the ruling.  

McLuckie said his business doesn’t have the money to cover that bill. “If I have to pay (this bill), I’m screwed.” 

In the May 14 letter from Juliana Leung, a senior officer of trade compliance with CBSA, quotes from two dictionaries that define a vehicle as “a machine that commonly has wheels and an engine, that is used for transporting goods or people.” 

The letter from CBSA, obtained by National Post, concludes that its review of the matter found that no error was made and that the department correctly ruled that the golf trolleys should be classified as EVs and hit with a 100 per cent import tax. “Undoubtedly, the golf trolleys under review meet the definition of motor vehicle, as they employ an electric motor for propulsion, and are used to transport goods.” 

The Formula models, whose price tags range from $1,299 to $2,499, are one of five brands sold by JPSMGolf. Not to be confused with four-wheeled golf vehicles, the electric Formula devices travel alongside their owner and are just large enough to carry a golf bag. 

Leung couldn’t be reached for comment Friday.  

Karine Martel, a CBSA spokesperson, said the department couldn’t comment on specific company cases, nor does it have the authority to deviate from the wording of surtax rules. Requests for remission, she said, are handled by the Department of Finance in consultation with other pertinent departments. 

McLuckie said that request has already been made. 

Phone calls and emails on Friday were not returned by the Department of Finance, MP Juanita Nathan, who represents McLuckie’s federal riding, or the office of Public Safety Minister Gary Anandasangaree, who is responsible for CBSA. 

JPSMGolf, which sells its imported goods only in Canada, has sold about 25,000 units over the last two decades, amassing about $33-million in total sales.  

The 100-per-cent surtax on Chinese-made EVs was implemented in 2024 by the Justin Trudeau government in a bid to protect the Canadian auto industry. It was in line with similar policies by the United States and some other western countries. 

That surtax was cancelled earlier this year after the Carney government reached a deal with Beijing to allow 49,000 Chinese EVs (about 3 per cent of the Canadian market) into the Canadian market at a tariff rate of 6.1 per cent. In exchange, China agreed to drop its tariffs on Canadian seafood and some key agricultural products. 

The U.S. maintains heavy tariffs on Chinese vehicles and the Trump administration and a bipartisan group of U.S. lawmakers have taken efforts to block the vehicles from even driving into the country. 

National Post 

Our website is the place for the latest breaking news, exclusive scoops, longreads and provocative commentary. Please bookmark nationalpost.com and sign up for our daily newsletter, Posted, here.

Join the Conversation

This website uses cookies to personalize your content (including ads), and allows us to analyze our traffic. Read more about cookies here. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

View the original on National Post

KioskNews shows a cleaned-up reading view extracted from the publisher’s page — the original always lives on their site, not ours.